1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Replacement Audio amplifier

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 09:47 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Replacement Audio amplifier

Just wondering, has anyone replaced the OEM infinity 4 channel amp on 1st generation Durangos with infinity audio systems? I like to get mine replaced as the rear channels does not seem to be up to par with the front channels. I like to replace the oem amp with a comparable aftermarket that will fit in the same passenger side kick panel.

I would love to stay with infinity as I have already replaced the oem infinity speakers with after market infinity speakers but, I am not able to find any 4 channel infinity amps that is small enough to fit the area where the original oem infinity amp resided.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Kensai

Old 04-27-2006, 02:40 PM
Adventurewagen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Replacement Audio amplifier

I'm not sure about the infinity head unit with AMP that would fit, but having looked into other stereo's recently for my two old VW's I ran across something that might be of interest. There is new speaker technology for amps just coming out. Amps apparently get rated at a certain "class". The better the amp, the more efficient and the better output it brings. The usual problem though is that to get better performance the size usually gets bigger, but now they have this new class of amp called Class T. I would go to crutchfield.com or somewhere like that and take a look into it. I would imagine infinity will eventually come out with one and the thing about them is this... The AMP within the head unit is so high powered you won't need an external amp unless you are a super stereo freak and need thousands of watts of sound.

Old 04-27-2006, 06:48 PM
robust57
Rookie

If you upgraded the OEM infinity's that amp won't push the new ones as well. I am actually unsure of where this amp is you are talking about. I have yet to find this amp in my durango. you got pics?

Old 05-02-2006, 04:39 PM
GhostRider3387
Rookie

The factory amp in my 98 is located behind the passenger side kick panel.
I replaced the factory speakers in my Durango with Diamond Audio 6.5s and the factory amp pushs all four of them fine,sounds great also, just make sure the ohm load of the amp and the ohm load for the replacement speakers are the same and you shouldnt have a problem.

Old 05-04-2006, 07:02 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On my 2000 R/T, the infinity system is a preamp deck with a small amp located at the passenger side kick panel. The small amp is a 4 channel amp. My guess its maximum clean power output is 10-15 watts per channel. But using the fader on the console, the fronts are louder than the rear, if I play the front only, then the rear only, the front definitely has more sound. Overall, the sound still sounds good as I recently replaced my blown oem's with aftermarket infinity 6012's. Just would like to even out the front/rear and even have a little bit more wattage output. Just don't want to relocate the original amp location to keep everything hidden and maintain the factory look.

Old 05-09-2006, 03:38 PM
jacoo27

I put my amps in the dry storage in the back (no third row), great place if your amp will fit?!?

Old 05-15-2006, 03:58 PM
carbophat

I honestly don't think you are going to find something that small to fit where the original one is... but I would look at pioneer or alpine sometimes they have smaller amps..

Quick Reply: Replacement Audio amplifier