Steering Wheel Vibration...and gas at US 12c per litre

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 07:28 PM
Chris_Gorham
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Vibration...and gas at US 12c per litre

Hi,

still debugging my 1999 5.9l Durango Magnum 2WD (105k km's on the clock)...but now down to the smaller issues...

for the record, over the last 3 months, I've had the following work done:

radiator replaced - following massive overheating and my very own coolant geezer at the side of the road
water pump replaced - no more sizzling in the engine compartment when you turn off the engine
A/C hoses leading from compressor - A/C now satisfactory, although still not going to win any awards here in Saudi Arabia, where there are only three types of weather: hot, unbearably hot and unbearably hot with sand up your nostrils
upper driver side ball joint (after rubber cracked) - I might have the other one done for the sheer hell of it, I've seen the photo's
rear driver side window regulator - I like my windows to go both up and down
power door locks, driver side front and rear - I really miss the buzzing sound

well just got back from a 1000km weekend run to Bahrain (beer, must have beer) and it now feels like the fun vehicle I wanted to drive - good thing they sell the petrol here at 8p (thats UK £0.08) per litre - you do the math for US equivalent. The King here in Saudi recently had the price of petrol reduced by 30% as well, so it was more expensive...!! In the UK I'd pay £1 per litre...hmmm

Anyway, I'm getting a vibration in the steering wheel at speed (65 - 70 mph+) - its more a feeling of sensitivity to the road surface than the constant vibration due to wheel balancing. It happens at lower speeds as well, but is more noticeable and tiring on a long journey.

I've had the wheels balanced, although I need to have the "workmanship" checked on another machine at a different shop. There are no clunks, pops or other sounds coming from the vehicle at any speed, or whilst turning - in fact the vehicle sounds and feels remarkably quiet and responsive at the moment. Tyre pressures are set to 35psi and are Goodyear Wrangler RT/S P235 / 75R15. The vehicle doesn't pull to one side on a flat road, but it is sensitive to road camber and cross winds - I really have to yank it to one side whilst at speed here on the desert highways when the wind is up.

My only other issue is that the drivers door, doesn't switch on the interior light when you open it - although all the other doors do, as does the remote unlock. It's probably a bad sensor, but I can't see where it's located on the door jam.

Suggestions welcome as always...Chris

Old 05-15-2006, 03:16 AM
johnnykat31
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Steering Wheel Vibration...and gas at US 12c per litre

I have had two Durangos. I have that problem with both of them. I have some to figure out the that problem comes from the front disc brakes. I cannot give you the specifics bhecuase I always have Dodge fix the problem and I always forget what they do. I can tell you that you have to have an adjustment on our discs. I am actually going to have to have it done again. When I get it done I will pay attention this time and post a thread when I have it done. Sorry, I dont have more info for you. I just know that it has to do with the brakes.

Johnny Kat

Old 05-15-2006, 04:10 PM
28this
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Steering Wheel Vibration...and gas at US 12c per litre

Chris,

Brakes is one possibility. I would still check the tire balance also at another shop. This could also be a universal joint going bad. How old are the tires? How bad were they before you got them balanced. If the balance was off before, one or more tires could have feathered, so even being balanced properly, you could still get a vibration until they flatten back out. If this is the case, try deflating your tires another 3-5 psi. It will let more of the tread on the road for better wear.

P.S. unbareably hot, sounds a lot better than -87 degrees.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Vibration...and gas at US 12c per litre