HELP PLEASE - SELF REVING ENGINE

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 05:47 PM
lee1976
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP PLEASE - SELF REVING ENGINE

Hello Everyone,
I have a 2001 Durango 5.9 R/T. Here's the history:

Bought the truck 1.5 years ago, used, from a dealership, no warranty. I think that was my first mistake.

After 3 months, the transmision went and I had a rebuilt transmission put in. A few months ago, it began to run a little rough and around the same time, the check engine light came on. I brought it into the mechanic, and they advised it just needed a tune-up, which was done and the check engine light went out.

Shortly after that, the check engine light came on again, and the engine began to rev up on its own in idle, when first started. If you gave it a hard shot of gas, it went away. The mechanic advised that it was a vacuum leak and replaced a cracked hose near the gas tank. The check engine light went out, but the problem did not go away.

Now, for the past 2 months, the engine has begun to rev high on its own 90% of the time. There is nothing consistent about when it happens. It will happen in idle, and also happen at high speeds. Yesterday it went from 1500 RPMs to 3000 RPMs and hung there for a few seconds before dropping back down to 1500. And I was just coasting along, not accelerating. This happened a few times in a row on the expressway yesterday.

I had the transmission checked again, just to be sure, and they advised that is not the problem. I have taken it to 3 different mechanics over the past 2 months and each of them have had it for over 1 week but NOBODY can figure it out. The check engine light is not on and nothing is registering as a problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I read on other posts that it could be the TPS sensor. Wouldn't this show up in the diagnostics???

Thanks.
Lee

Old 06-27-2006, 01:31 AM
bmuraski
Default RE: HELP PLEASE - SELF REVING ENGINE

I have a 99 Durango, 5.9L, and have the same problem. In other postings, I've heard it could be either the TPS, Throttle Position Sensor, or the TSS, Transmission Speed Sensor. I've replaced both and still have the same problem. The engine will rev when going down the highway and it doesn't happen right away. Takes about 20 or so minutes of driving before it starts to rev up on it's own. The check engine light came on again and I need to run to AZ (Autozone) to see if they can tell me what the codes are before I take it to the garage again. If anyone has any other ideas on a possible solution I would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 06-27-2006, 01:55 AM
05ocsrt4
Rookie

it's gonna be a vacuum leak, it's causing your engine to idle up and then your ECU is trying to lower it and when it gets to it's desired idle the ECU stops and then the vacuum leak takes it up again, and it does that over and over again, i advise to check after your MAF/MAP sensor

Old 07-01-2006, 01:02 AM
outlinegraphics

Um... I don't think it's a vac leak. I have an 01 4.7li and I swear mine does all ove the above mentioned!!

My RPM's jumped all around while in park. Check engine came on... Evaporative leak. Took it to the dealer, and a 6' hose and $50 bill later, the code was gone for a couple hundred miles, however, the RPMs still fluctuated erradically... Now the tranny is acting up and the engine light is on again throwing 3 transmission codes..

I'm wondering about these Durangos!

Old 07-01-2006, 03:56 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its the TPS. Cheap and easy fix.

IndyDurango

Old 07-04-2006, 12:28 AM
bmuraski

I already tried that. I replaced both the TPS and transmission speed sensor. Still same problem. It doesn't seem to start reving up though for about 20 minutes of driving, when the engine's been cold. If that makes a difference. If there are any other suggestions I'm willing to try as long as it doesn't drain my pocket book.

Thanks.

Old 07-05-2006, 02:54 AM
1 bad durango
Professional

i had a problem but rpm would not jump that high ,come to find out my idle adjustment screw was not correct ,make sure it is in the factory position hope that cures it,if it is screwed in to much or not enough the computer will rev the motor trying to compensate for the rpm diff. hope it helps

Quick Reply: HELP PLEASE - SELF REVING ENGINE