1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2000 Durango, crazy engine noise... whirring

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 10:06 PM
slza805
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Durango, crazy engine noise... whirring

Wow great forum... this is my first post and its concerning an very annoying engine noise coming from the engine of my 2000 Dodge Durango 5.2L. It sounds like a "WHIRRRING" sound or some would put it like the fan is getting really loud, like a helicopter is in the engine compartment. Sounds the same even with the A/C on or off.

I plan on changing the belts but its really looking like something worse. I hope its not. First thing is it hard to change the belt? I have done regular maintenance on the D such as oil, filter, plugs and even the cap/rotor which was a pain in the *** to do since its far in the rear of the engine. Anyone have some pointers on changing the belt?

Lastly, back to the "ENGINE NOISE".... what are my options on getting this fixed, I really do hate going to the STEALERSHIP for work. What could the problem be.

Thanks for your time.

Old 06-20-2004, 10:58 PM
chrisandclauida2
Rookie
Default RE: 2000 Durango, crazy engine noise... whirring

i dont know about ur year but they r either centrifical or electric temp activated. both typs r on the waterpump. in each type they spin faster at certon engine speeds or temps and they make a lour roar. in my 04 it is electrically activated but still like a regular fan. the puter tells it when to engage the clutch to make it spin faster. in my case when the moter hits a certon temp.a mechanical fan does this by engine speed and if the clutch freeses engaged it will spinn faster at the wrong time and u hear the roar. so start there u can change the clutch ur self easily. all u have to do is remove the fan and clutch from the water pump.sometimes u may need to remove the radiator i dont know the specifics of ur year. before someone jumps on me about my fan clutch being electric and the fan is a regular pump mounted fan and tellls me i am wrong. well it is the service people say so it has a specific relay and it only engages when the temp gage hits half way. new to me. when they said an electric fan i thought a radiator mounted fan but the only one of those is for the ac. well any how i would start at the fan. as for the belts. all u need to do is lossed the tensioner for thr serpintine belt and it will slip off put the new one on and tighten the tensioner. the tensioner is spring loaded to u have to put a small pry bar and push it out of the way of uninstall and install. hope i didnt ramble too much good luck
chris

Old 06-20-2004, 11:16 PM
chrisandclauida2
Rookie

sounds like the fan.

Old 06-21-2004, 03:46 AM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris-no such thing as a electric PCM controlled clutch fan. All clutch fans are temp controlled. You may also have an elec fan mounted behind the mech fan on the rad that is PCM controlled.

slza805, belt is real easy to take off, use a 15mm wrench to move the tensioner pulley toward the left side of the engine and pull the belt off. I would run it for a minute with belt off to make sure that is the noise.

Old 06-21-2004, 11:40 AM
slza805
Rookie

Well let me start off with the belt. It is somewhat cracked and should be replaced. Yesterday I decided to open the hood up and replace it. I went to the automatic tensioner and loosened it up and still it was tight, it would not slip off. I also went to the idler pulley loosened it and it gave up some but still was tight. Any ideas... what am I doing wrong. I have a Chiltons manual but its so bland and basic, it does not even have the right picture of my engine in it.

So the fan can be causing the whirring, loud roar???

Chris at any temp the engine still sounds the same.

Dodgemech... thanks for input as well... going to try the belt again this evening when its much cooler.

Old 06-21-2004, 02:01 PM
slza805
Rookie

anyone else with answers on the problem I have?

Just a few minutes ago I took it to a local Chevron maintenance shop for them to have a quick look. They looked at the belts, they said it needs to replaced. LOL, I knew that one. But as they revved it up they said it sounded like a ball bearing problem in one of the areas. They also stated it would take a few hours to diagnose it since the radiator might have to be pulled out. Then removal of the belt... and testing of all the pullies that may could be making the problem. FK.... am I looking at a big job that is very labor intensive?

To think that my Durango is slowing having problems with barely 55000 miles.... first it was the auto locks, then power windows, 3rd brake light, then speed sensor... now this. What else could go wrong. LOL, just venting a little... [>:]

Any help on this problem would be great....

Old 06-22-2004, 04:35 AM
dodgemech
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its a loud roar sound it's almost for sure the fan clutch, unless it does it ALL THE TIME, its normal don't worry about it. If it does it all the time, then you probably need to change the fan clutch. Remember on that belt the tensioner is all the way on the right side and you put a wrench on that 15mm bolt in the middle of the pulley and rotate it toward the left side then slip the belt off the alt pulley.

Old 06-22-2004, 12:54 PM
slza805
Rookie

Yes its a loud roar, neighbors this morning thought I put in some supercharger or performance modification. LOL..

Yes its "ALL THE TIME".

1. What do I have to do to trouble shoot where this noise is coming from since I must tackle the job of removing and replacing the belt soon?

2. Replacement of the fan clutch... what is the level of difficulty in doing this task? Cost of a fan clutch is $54. would there be any additional parts for it? Labor or time it should take?

3. Also remembered the mechanic at the Chevron said it could possibly be the water pump? FK.... $water pump and gasket is about $67. Labor or time it should take?

Im really tempted to tackle this job as soon as I get more guidance, and a good Haynes manual, unless someone has the SERVICE MANUAL for my truck on a MS WORD or .PDF file? Anyone????

All assistance in this problem would be appreaciated. Anyone a mechanic thats worthy in SA, TX. Shoot me a PM or email.

Old 06-25-2004, 04:42 AM
Bamboo
Rookie

Sounds like a bad fan clutch. If it was me I'd just try replacing the fan assembly first and see if that solves the problem. The viscous fan is easy to change. First remove serpentine belt. I used an allen wrench as a stop pin and pry bar to hold it in place. Insert allen into one of the holes on the water pump and spin until it stops, hold allen with pry bar and loosen bolt on the fan with an open end wrench (I forget the size..sorry.) Five minute job at best. Reverse to install.

Haven't done a water pump on a 5.9 but if you're mechanically inclined it shouldn't be that hard to do. The fan shrouds top & bottom have four bolts holding them on and take just few minutes to take off with no special tools. If you do plan on workiing on your D, you should get an FSM on CD. They come up on Ebay for cheap once and awhile.

Best of luck!

Old 06-25-2004, 01:11 PM
slza805
Rookie

FSM on Ebay? Is that service manual?

Thanks Bamboo! Wish me luck, Im going out this evening to get the parts and work on this Sun or Mon. Thanks again.

Anyone else with some hints, tips etc.... please post.

Quick Reply: 2000 Durango, crazy engine noise... whirring