1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Power window motors failing???

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 08:07 PM
Sky2001Durango
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power window motors failing???

Newbie on here and Durango owner, glad I found this site. Okay here's the deal, I bought a used 2001 Durango SLT 2WD 4.7 back in Sept of '05. It's loaded up with pretty much everything Dodge offerred back in '01 and I've loved it so far. Had a couple minor things go wrong, nothing too serious knock on wood.

However since owning it one of the minor problems has been with my power window motors. I have had not one but TWO of them fail. First was the drivers and I paid a local mom & pop shop to fix it. Part was $230 plus $60 labor, just under 3 bills total.

Then a couple days ago my rear driver's side one made some clunking noise as I was putting it down and now it's out as well. I called my local dealership just to see what they'd have to say about it and the guy just said I could bring it in and they'd fix it, there were no known defects/recalls/etc on this. His price was a riot: $270 for the part and $420 total to do the job! LOL!

I found one website online (Auto Parts Warehouse) that has these motors but of course they have the other 3, not the one I need. Their prices seem very good, ranging from $81 up to $119 with free shipping for anything over $50 bucks.

Anyway I'm just hoping maybe someone on here has run into this problem and can give me some advice on how y'all handled it? Also do y'all know of any other online stores I could try to find this at?

Thanks in advance...

Old 07-17-2006, 09:10 PM
s_chev
Default RE: Power window motors failing???

I have found this site quite helpful for parts http://www.allmoparparts.com/ .

Here is the link after you drill down to the left rear regulator http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...01&catalogid=1

I too had that one break on my 2001 Durango. My son tried to roll it down the ONE day that we actually had an ice storm here in Texas this past winter. It turns out it was just a little plastic cable guide that broke, but of'course no one sells just that part. The price on-line shows $85 but after I placed the order, they emailed me to say the price went up to $160, yet even now 6 months later, the price shows the same.

I haven't fixed it yet and just have the cable pulled tight to hold the window up. As long as the weather stays up in the hundreds here, there is no reason to roll the windows down. I'll probably attempt it when it cools off out.

I have done many searchs online and I can never find the left rear regulator, just the other 3. Not sure why either.
Good luck.
~Steve

Old 07-18-2006, 01:53 AM
Sky2001Durango

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the info. Yeah that is very strange that these places seemingly only have the other 3 motors and not that rear left one. Strange. I'll check out that site and see what I can find. If it truly is a buck sixty I'll probably just go ahead and left my shop take care of it for me. Then again if these rear left ones are so hard to find maybe they might come back with a $400+ quote to do the job! Jeez.

Thanks again for responding to my post...

Old 07-18-2006, 03:54 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get your replacement window motors here for the Durango:

http://www.windowmotor.com/

All Gen1 Ds have the power window issue. If they don't yet, they will. Some fail, all slow down, and on all... the windows will raise and lower at different speeds over time. Some users find a solid hit on the acutator revives it for another 6 months or so. Why? The brushes in the electric motors that DC used were undersized and they build up carbon, etc on them. A smack knocks it loose. Some even have rebuilt them theirselves. The above link was recommended by the Durango Owners Club folks and they seemed happy with the results and responses.

HTH,

IndyDurango

Old 07-21-2006, 01:33 AM
Sky2001Durango

ORIGINAL: IndyDurango

All Gen1 Ds have the power window issue. If they don't yet, they will. Some fail, all slow down, and on all... the windows will raise and lower at different speeds over time. Some users find a solid hit on the acutator revives it for another 6 months or so. Why? The brushed DC used were undersized and they build up carbon, etc on them. A smack knocks it loose. Some even have rebuilt them theirselves. The above link was recommended by the Durango Owners Club folks and they seemed happy with the results and responses.

HTH,

IndyDurango

Indy - thanks for the info. I figured that must be the case since I've had 2 of mine quit on me in a 3 month stretch over this spring/summer. I checked that website you suggested, downloaded their catalog. For the 2001 Durango's they don't list anything for either rear window. I sent them an email asking if they carry the rear left one that I need, we'll see what they come back with. Man this is frustrating, I just can't seem to find this replacement window motor anywhere!

Old 07-21-2006, 05:12 PM
s_chev

I went to that site also and it is weird that they don't list the rear motor units. Please post what their response was when you get it. My motor works fine and I just need the stupid little plastic guide parts.

Old 07-21-2006, 06:52 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sky2001Durango

ORIGINAL: IndyDurango

All Gen1 Ds have the power window issue. If they don't yet, they will. Some fail, all slow down, and on all... the windows will raise and lower at different speeds over time. Some users find a solid hit on the acutator revives it for another 6 months or so. Why? The brushed DC used were undersized and they build up carbon, etc on them. A smack knocks it loose. Some even have rebuilt them theirselves. The above link was recommended by the Durango Owners Club folks and they seemed happy with the results and responses.

HTH,

IndyDurango

Indy - thanks for the info. I figured that must be the case since I've had 2 of mine quit on me in a 3 month stretch over this spring/summer. I checked that website you suggested, downloaded their catalog. For the 2001 Durango's they don't list anything for either rear window. I sent them an email asking if they carry the rear left one that I need, we'll see what they come back with. Man this is frustrating, I just can't seem to find this replacement window motor anywhere!

They have been good in the past. Since the '01 is the same as the '98-'03 I'm sure they have it and should get back in touch with you soon.

IndyD

Quick Reply: Power window motors failing???