1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

03 Durango R/T 5.9L Bolt-Ons

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 02:53 AM
Jpondo5.9
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 03 Durango R/T 5.9L Bolt-Ons

towing is something my family does a lot.. We have a tandom wheel boat trailer and it is about 4800 for the boat..(it is a beast) but I can pull great with the my durango.. but any ways thats totaly off subject. any ways 5000 shouldn't be too bad sense all that stuff you have already done to your durango.. but My best freinds dad has a turbo charged toyota [sm=escape.gif] and that wasn't made for pulling like our durangos are but witht he turbo it shure helped him,... he still can't tow as much wieght but he sure goes up the caynon a lot better... My budy has a super charged 4 runner [sm=shootshoot.gif]and he pulled a couple four wheelers ( not saying thats a big load but for a 4 runner) up parlys caynon (hydo you know that one) and he kept 60 mile a hour up it prety good.. so if anything I think It will major help .. I have not ready much about it this is just from noticing my friends SUV's that have a supercharger or turbo so reall life stuff not fact stuff.. [sm=feedback.gif]

Old 08-01-2006, 01:00 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I've towed up Parleys before with about 3500 lbs. on the back. It did a great job. I went up at 70 mph and had a lot more punch still. Although 5000 lbs is different as well as towing something the size of a balloon behind you. You got to deal with wind and sail like conditions. I just wonder about smoking a trany or something with the super charger.

Old 08-02-2006, 10:44 AM
Jpondo5.9
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

true that.. I am going to do some research now on that.. I wanted to supercharge my durango too and I know it will have more than enough punch but will have to figure out about the trany like you siad... I am going to ask around some of my budys and get back to you.. please get back if you find out any info hydrashocker thanks... Ps.. you know there is a black supercharged durango some where in west jordan I think.. Saw a old man driving it it was sweet I heard the supercharger only problem was the old man was totaly snoby and would give me the time of day...

Old 08-02-2006, 12:31 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: hydrashocker

ORIGINAL: Kensai

Depends on how much you are willing to initially spend:

Low starting budget,

Cold air intake and Cat back exhaust
M1 intake manifold and Fastman 52mm TB upgrades.

Large starting budget,

All of the above plus
instead of catback exhaust, go with GSM true dual exhaust - GSM makes a exact custom fit for first gen Durangos
headers
Mopar PCM flash upgrade

As my D is finally paid off, I now have some money to slowly upgrade my Durango. Will start with Mopar cold air intake and M1 intake manifold and Fastman 52 mm TB upgrade. I selected the Mopar CAI to maintain the stock look by having mopar name stamped on the kit. I haven't made up my mind if I want to go with GSM or catback exhaust. If wifey will let me spend the bucks to bolt on a supercharger, I'll go with GSM, if not, I'll go with catback exhaust.
About time you pay off that truck!
You know your wife will want that new car and we always get the shaft! My truck has been paid off for about one year now and I still am waiting to get that super charger.[sm=burnout.gif] Well if I stop buying all this other crap for my truck it would probably come true. But always in good time my friends. Now we are starting to look for a new camping trailer for my beast to tow. Maybe a maxLite or something like that. I dont know maybe a 25' with slide outs. I want to stay around 5000 lbs.
What do you guys think? Will the super charger help or kill the truck when towing?[sm=confused06.gif]
Hydra,

You are soooo in the right! Wifey's turn to get her new car. I don't blame her, She needs one, her 14 yr old Nissan won't hold together much longer. She's a import person so no telling what she will pick but at least I got her pointing the right way to the right type of import car. Me? I am holding out for the Challenger to arrive and pray that what we see today is what it will look like when it debuts in 08. I need to get back into a stick shift again!

But for now, I am trying to budget for a M1 intake and 52mm TB that I will get from Fastman. My original intake needs replacing soon as the area where the thermostat housing is located, it leaked antifreezed at one time. A very slow leak but over time, it rotted the surroundings and pitted up the alumimum so soon, the silicone seal may not hold. Good excuse to get the M1 now!

Next upgrade will the tru duals from GSM. I would like to find if any other manufacturer makes true duals but haven't found any.

Old 08-02-2006, 12:35 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: IndyDurango

ORIGINAL: Kensai

This is the first I heard of negative responses from GSmotorsports. Do you have the links so I can check this out. I am pretty sure I may go with the GSM tru duals.
First you have heard of GSM Issues in the Dak/D space? Really? Forum surf much outside of here?

Search on the DOC http://www.durangoclub.com/ and/or and Dak-D.com http://www.dakota-durango.com/ and you should find plenty of ammo...er...information.

IndyD
I surf out of this forum mainly in the concepts area. I occassionally surf the sister Dakota area but not much as I do not have a dak. I surf and am a member of the other 2 links you mentioned above but at most times, there aren't as much activity in those durango specific forums as it is here.

Thanks for the info, I need to know what the negatives and see how serious they are before I decide not to get the tru duals from GSM. I hate having custom duals made as some muffler shops don't know how to fabricate a clean bend and good clean welds.

Quick Reply: 03 Durango R/T 5.9L Bolt-Ons