1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

'99 318 Plugs and IAC Pictures... What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 08:04 AM
jkichline
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 318 Plugs and IAC Pictures... What do you think?

I took some pictures of my plugs and my IAC valve. I've been having a little trouble with starting. It starts every time but starts rough when cold and seems to idle just fine. I pulled all the plugs and the IAC Valve. #8 plug looks oil fouled to me and IAC was REALLY Dirty. Take a look and tell me what you think. There are only 10K miles on these plugs

I cleaned up the IAC and plug #8 and it seemed to start better (cold). May be because #8 takes a little time to foul. We'll see.
#1 PLUG

#1 PLUG

#2 PLUG

#2 PLUG

#3 PLUG

#3 PLUG

#4 Plug

#4 Plug

#5 Plug

#5 Plug

#6 Plug

#6 Plug

#7 Plug

#7 Plug

#8 Plug

#8 Plug

IAC Valve BEFORE

IAC Valve BEFORE

IAC Valve AFTER

IAC Valve AFTER

Any and all input is welcome!!

Old 07-30-2006, 03:18 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: '99 318 Plugs and IAC Pictures... What do you think?

Yea, I'd say #8 wasn't right. How is your plenum gasket? "Using' any oil? Look down the throat of the TB since you are in there, any oil?

As for the IAC (I'm knocking on wood now) I've never had mine out or replaced and I am at 156,000 miles. Thus, I don't know what to say about how that looks.

All of your other plugs looked normal for used plugs IMO.

FYI, my 2000's original set of plugs were changed at 90,000 miles. The dealer installed stock OEM Champions back in. Those were just replaced by me at 150,000 or at a 60,00 mile interval with Autolite 3923s. While the D ran fine before both plug changes, the plugs did look all used up visibly both times (and should at that level of miles/usage). Why did I wait so long? The D ran fine and I wasn't excited about doing them myself (looked difficult to get to the back two.) However having done it myself this last time, I will be changing them at least once a year from now on (at my milage, that's about 28,000 miles per year.)

IndyDurango

Old 07-30-2006, 01:30 PM
jkichline

ORIGINAL: IndyDurango

Yea, I'd say #8 wasn't right. How is your plenum gasket? "Using' any oil? Look down the throat of the TB since you are in there, any oil?

As for the IAC (I'm knocking on wood now) I've never had mine out or replaced and I am at 156,000 miles. Thus, I don't know what to say about how that looks.

All of your other plugs looked normal for used plugs IMO.

FYI, my 2000's original set of plugs were changed at 90,000 miles. The dealer installed stock OEM Champions back in. Those were just replaced by me at 150,000 or at a 60,00 mile interval with Autolite 3923s. While the D ran fine before both plug changes, the plugs did look all used up visibly both times (and should at that level of miles/usage). Why did I wait so long? The D ran fine and I wasn't excited about doing them myself (looked difficult to get to the back two.) However having done it myself this last time, I will be changing them at least once a year from now on (at my milage, that's about 28,000 miles per year.)

IndyDurango
You're not the first person to recommend looking closer at the plenum gasket. I have looked down in there a few times. Looks like a normal oil film to me (no puddles or anything). If the gasket was done, why would only the #8 plug look so bad while the rest look normal. I'm hoping the problem is with the gasket and not the ring in the #8 cylinder. I'd rather do a plenum gasket than pull the motor and overhaul it. How can you know its the plenum gasket for sure (before I spend a day and about another $150 on it). Thanks for your help!

Old 08-01-2006, 05:24 PM
jkichline

Before I do a plenum gasket, is there a way to know for sure that I'm doing the right thing? I've done a compression test (cold). All eight were 150psi +/-5psi. I will be doing a vacuum test either tonight or tomorrow.

Quick Reply: '99 318 Plugs and IAC Pictures... What do you think?