Durango Shuts off while driving

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 02:10 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Durango Shuts off while driving

ORIGINAL: kobaltblauSC

PROBLEM Any help is appreciated, I have searched multiple forums, but this is my problem, While driving normal down the road the vehicle will just shut off. After waiting for a few minutes to cool down it will start back up as if nothing happened.

MAINTENACE PERFORMED It does not have any issues with the oil sump screen or low oil pressure, and I have changed to the upgraded plenum gasket(the old one was toast), tranny speed sensors are both good, and have performed preventive maintenance regularly. The motors runs smooth at 109 mph for hours on end on the Autobahns of Germany. The check engine light is not on! My D has been to the Dealer(Chrysler dealer due to being stationed in Germany) 3 times for the same problem. They have changed the battery??, cleaned the throttle body, and changed the O2 sensor so far.

I have read on other posts about this issue but no body followed up with posting thier solution, so if anyone has a clue, please let me know. I am currently deployed to Iraq and can only help my wife by giving suggestions. She is gonna make me buy a new one if this one doesn't get it fixed!!! So help me out guys!

Thanks in advance,

Jason Baldwin
Jason, those were all great ideas that were given, however, I beleive you have a bad coil. Replace it (aftermarket is less than $40) via ten minutes of labor and all should be fine. There is a "NO-Start" event if the alarm has been triggered and the D is then tried to start, but you don't seem to have that.

IndyDurango

EDIT: Thank you for your service in Iraq. I'm sure it isn't your favorite place to be right about now (heat and danger). Just know that regardless of what you may hear, there are those of us in the states that fullly support you and your efforts and actions. My MOS was = 72E

Old 08-17-2006, 08:26 PM
sailfish
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced the Fuel pump relay in the PDC (next to the battery) with no help. The fuel and horn relay are interchangeable. There are only two things left that prevent the fuel pump from running. First is the Relay control in the PCM and second is the leak detector switch and solenoid also in the PCM. I order a PCM used. I will let you know how it works out. Your problem is fuel or ignition. You have to eliminate one of the two and trace it from there. You should be able to find someone mechanically incline at the annex where your D is.

Old 08-18-2006, 01:40 AM
IndyDurango
Champion

It is a lot easier to replace the coil (and cheaper) than the PCM.
PCM failures are very, very rare.
Good luck guys.

IndyD

Old 08-18-2006, 11:47 AM
sailfish

Good luck guys.

IndyD

As I told you in my e-mail, I had replaced all the ignition components including the coil, thinking my D needed a tune-up, when I took a fuel reading after it quit, it showed no fuel pressure. In my case I have no power to the fuel pump after the engine quits. Like I said in my post you need to track down what your particular problem (ignition or fuel). The PCM as many functions within its different modules. In my case I don’t have power from the fuel pump control relay in the PCM (wire C3-19 chassis electrical system diagram). Beware of post that that have all the answers in one solution.

Old 08-18-2006, 01:02 PM
IndyDurango
Champion

ORIGINAL: sailfish

Good luck guys.

IndyD

As I told you in my e-mail, I had replaced all the ignition components including the coil, thinking my D needed a tune-up, when I took a fuel reading after it quit, it showed no fuel pressure. In my case I have no power to the fuel pump after the engine quits. Like I said in my post you need to track down what your particular problem (ignition or fuel). The PCM as many functions within its different modules. In my case I don’t have power from the fuel pump control relay in the PCM (wire C3-19 chassis electrical system diagram). Beware of post that that have all the answers in one solution.
Sail, Your post seemed to be talking to two folks at once so I wasn't sure. Well good luck with your repair/replacement PCM. Please let us know if it works out. I believe Fastman has access to new PCMs but they may be high performance PCMs. I know of a couple of places that also sell them online if you are interested. Just let me know.

IndyD

P.S. You wind surf?

Old 08-27-2006, 01:05 PM
sailfish

I replaced the PCM and let it run at idle for 5 hours. $35 dollars worth of gas later and it was still running. I might have fix the problem, however I don't trust it. So geuss I will drive the Jag for the long trips.

Old 08-27-2006, 07:11 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drive the damned thing Sail! If it ran that long I am sure that is where your problem was.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:47 AM
browncs63

This is not a question but a solution. Our company runs a 1999 Dodge Durango 5.9 V8, which was having problems starting. We have been online multiple times to see if others had a solution and we found that owners were spending 1000's $ trying to figure the problem out to no avail, replacing part after part.

The PROBLEM:
Drive the Durango shut it off - go to start and would crank only - leave it for a while - come back start right up. At times the check engine light would come on, stay on, and throw a P0340 code (according to manual and dealers - no Cam shaft sensor on this model - it was throwing a false code). Little by little problem got worse to point Durango would not start at all. Seemed like it might be factory alarm with engine kill.

OTHERS ONLINE TRIED:
Coil; Crank Sensor; IAC; battery replacement; new distributor cap, rotor and plugs; replacement and/or flash of PCM; Throttle Positioning Sensor; Fuses; amoung other items. Brought to Dodge they could not figure it out.

WE FOUND IT TO BE:
Distributor pickup which duals as a cam shaft sensor. This is located under the distributor cap. A $50.00 part solved the problem.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:52 PM
mikul515

Fukn durangos...im now on the side of the rpoad again, causing major traffic(ny)..autozone said they cannot get me a new computer, without giving them the old one first,so I must sit and cause a traffic jam while I wait for this hunk o **** to cool down..then I can get back home maybe....3 hrs. To drive 8 miles

Old 06-23-2011, 07:44 AM
Chris_Gorham
Professional

classic pcm issue for D's...Chris

Quick Reply: Durango Shuts off while driving