1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

remote starter

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 03:57 AM
Jpondo5.9
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remote starter

I have been wanting to buy a remote starter for a long time now I rember reading some posts about it and how it hasn't worked for some of your d. But I was wondering if any of you out has done and if it worked how it should.. if so what brand did you get.. I am really interested in getting it sense A live live in utah where it gets really cold I could really use that remot to start up before get in the d you know.. any ways.. thanks for the advise.. Jp

Old 08-30-2006, 02:05 PM
jacoo27
Default RE: remote starter

Get it professionally done, I work for a retailer that installs them and Dodge does not make it easy. I would stick to a Directed Electronics product (Viper, Python, Valet, Clifford...) they may be a little more money, but you get what you pay for. If you have the grey rubber around your key you will need a key bypass module for the chip in the key, black rubber no problem. You will also need a door lock module if you want keyless entry. Dodge uses a one-wire door lock system, which needs different voltages for lock and unlock. The retailer will have the resources and all the tools to complete the job. Plus if they mess your D up, there insurance will pay for it. I would stick to Circuit City if you have one near you.

Good luck,
Jacoo27

2002 2wd
4.7 L
Volant cold air intake
Flowmaster exhaust

Old 08-30-2006, 09:11 PM
JasonGS

I had mine done at Ziebart (no key chip on mine). And I think they did something incorrectly... Every time we use it, an engine code will come up. I think it says something like no trans bus signal or something. But it works just fine other than that, and the engine code will go away after a few key cycles. Unfortunately, I do not remember the name brand.

Old 08-31-2006, 09:58 AM
Jpondo5.9
Professional

thanks for the advise.. when you say " Get it professionally done " are you talking about for me to just order the remote starter kit and then take it to the shop I trust and have them instal it or to try and go to the dealer and see if there guys can handle it.. how much do you think that would cost to get it done at a shop.. I have never priced that up.. as well thanks for the coments.. any others out there in forum world and can lend some advice.. thanks JP [sm=angrymail.gif]

Quick Reply: remote starter