This is Important...Cooling Fan Wiring Burn Out

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 09:59 AM
Chris_Gorham
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is Important...Cooling Fan Wiring Burn Out

Hi,

this is an important post...so please take note...

I've got a 99 5.9l D here in Riyadh. It's the export version so it came with an electric cooling fan, I think off the Viper, and not the clutch fan.

I'm not sure if later versions came out in the US with this fan, but if they did then please note the following...

The attached photo is of the connector at the end of the wiring loom, the other side of which the fans electrical connector plugs into.
You may be able to see that the far right pin is burn't out...it couldn't take the current after all these years and failed.
Left me with no cooling fan in Bahrain and a 500km drive back to Riyadh...[:'(]

I went to a scrap yard here in Riyadh this afternoon..and examined a wreck of a D of similar vintage. Same problem, the connector was beginning to burn out with a brown tint where the overheating was taking place.

Just thought you all should know...

Chris

[IMG]local://upfiles/28897/A516C70F593D49159EF1F9C40F6E9D4C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-15-2006, 12:36 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: This is Important...Cooling Fan Wiring Burn Out

Is that a OEM plug that is part of the viper cooling fan? If it is not, it may explain why then. I would just splice off that plug and get new aftermarket plug with same number of pin outs that is designed for high amperage. Just make sure to re-install the wires back where it will match up on the other end of the plug.

Old 09-16-2006, 04:35 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Agreed.[&:] That does not look right.

Old 09-17-2006, 05:53 PM
Chris_Gorham
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the dealer permanently bridge the connection with decent gauge electrical wire...

the snap connector is standard to all Durango's of my vintage (a long with the electric cooling fan) here in Saudi Arabia as far as I can see from the other scrapyard wrecks, so it was factory fitted in the USA.[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

the 500km drive back to Riyadh with no cooling fan was fun (not)...and accomplished at 70 mph plus all the way so the fan wasn't needed to cool the engine. No hold ups at all, but there are plenty of accidents plus security check points, so I was just lucky...

stopped for petrol only once and swerved into the station and immediately switched off the engine....filled up and then accelerated out back up to 70 mph. The temperature gauge pretty well maxed out (but no check gauges light fortunately) before settling back after a few minutes slightly to the right (say 60%) of normal for the rest of the journey.

and having just spent SAR 18,000 rebuilding the engine...

Fun, fun ,fun...Chris

Quick Reply: This is Important...Cooling Fan Wiring Burn Out