1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Throttle Position Sensor Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 02:57 PM
Instant Classic//
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good ol' TPS....something soo small cause issues that seem soo big. I replaced mine 9 months ago from Advance. It was $32. They are the same on the 5.2, 5.9, and I think the 3.9(and mine's a 4.7). Took me 3 mins to repair(litterally).

Old 04-24-2012, 05:13 PM
LittleRiver2010
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading carefully 12 pages of this forum late last night, I headed out to Auto Advance this morning and purchased the TPS....and approx. 5 minutes of labor, and $36.00 later, its like having a brand new Durango!
I see alot of folks knocking the 2004 Durango, but I have over 193,00 miles on it, and with minor repairs like this, I plan on getting 193,000 more.! Thanks for this thread ! I,m sure it saved me hundreds. I have come to DodgeForum twice, and your 2 for 2 issues solved.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:08 PM
LittleRiver2010
Default Update on Throttle Pressure Sensor Replacement

Update: The Throttle Pressure Sensor I had to change again on the Durango, seems the first one was junk. The parts store did an exchange. After changing the TPS again, the Durango would run great on the highway, and stall out when I went to park. So I took out the Idle Control Valve, ( like pulling a log through the eye of a needle ), cleaned it up, put it back in, poured in a bottle of SeaFoam into the fuel, and now it's running as it should. No revving, no stalling.....now I knock on wood.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:58 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

Heh you think thats bad? When I replaced my input/output sensors (545RFE) I got a bad sensor and when I took it for a drive, it went through first gear fine but then went straight to 4th gear. I was worried I broke something really expensive!

As far as electronics go, it's definitely possible to buy a bad one brand new. Good luck with your D. Keep it taken care of and she'll treat you well.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:32 PM
LittleRiver2010
Default Tps

Understand the "taking care of".... Other than the TPS, I have replaced the tires twice, the brakes twice, 2 manifold bolts, and 2 batteries. All in 194,500 miles. This truck is our workhorse and I definitely can't complain. I hope for 194,000 more!

Old 05-20-2012, 01:41 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sometimes the stocker parts are better for reasons just like this.

My '00 sensors are all stocker replacements. My '01 sensors are all Borg Warner. Dunno how long the Borgs will last but the stockers are usually bullet proof.

IndyDurango

Old 07-15-2012, 07:52 PM
LittleRiver2010
Default Throttle Position Sensor not the issue..sorta

Okay guys....hopefully this is the last time I write on this post. Lets get straight to the point. If your going to change the Throttle Pressure Sensor, CHANGE THE IDLE CONTROL VALVE...at the same time.
Why you ask... I had changed the TPS 3 times in approx 2 months...then was called to work claims in Florida from Tropical Storm Debbie. In the MIDDLE of the storm, on the highway, the TPS went out 2 more times. The entire story lasted about 12 hrs but I,ll reduce it to this. The morning after, I changed out the last TPS... AND..... the Idle Control Valve...Issue solved. Worked claims for 2 weeks, then drove the 12 hrs back home with no further issues.
Bottom line...I don't give a crap what the mechanic says, or what the "diagnostic" read-out says...change them BOTH.
For me..Lesson learned.
Let me repeat...change them BOTH !
If I can keep one person from performing car maintenance on the side of a highway, in the middle of a Tropical Storm, this post is worth it.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:43 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LittleRiver2010
Okay guys....hopefully this is the last time I write on this post. Lets get straight to the point. If your going to change the Throttle Pressure Sensor, CHANGE THE IDLE CONTROL VALVE...at the same time.
Why you ask... I had changed the TPS 3 times in approx 2 months...then was called to work claims in Florida from Tropical Storm Debbie. In the MIDDLE of the storm, on the highway, the TPS went out 2 more times. The entire story lasted about 12 hrs but I,ll reduce it to this. The morning after, I changed out the last TPS... AND..... the Idle Control Valve...Issue solved. Worked claims for 2 weeks, then drove the 12 hrs back home with no further issues.
Bottom line...I don't give a crap what the mechanic says, or what the "diagnostic" read-out says...change them BOTH.
For me..Lesson learned.
Let me repeat...change them BOTH !
If I can keep one person from performing car maintenance on the side of a highway, in the middle of a Tropical Storm, this post is worth it.
While i do agree to change them both, I personally did change them both and after that changed the TPS 3 more times... didn't solve the issue till i changed the TPS with one from the dealer.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:12 PM
TravisN.
Rookie

A good way to check the TPS is with a voltmeter. Simply push the probes into the back of the connectors and turn the key to the "on" position without starting the engine. Now manually move the throttle cable and watch your voltmeter. If the volts start jumping around a lot while you are holding the throttle steady, its a bad TPS. If the volts are changing with the rate of moving the throttle cable and holding steady in relation to not moving the throttle, then your TPS is not the culprit.

Old 11-25-2017, 07:58 PM
Danlb0y
Amateur
Default Same

Originally Posted by Dango-85
So, had some throttle body service done last week and wow - my TPS seems to have completely freaked. All was good for a few days but today on the highway, engine RPM's started surging around 2000-3000 extra and it slammed my transmission around. I had the plugs replaced, and initially thought that I wasn't firing on all cylinders, but then I reconsidered the TPS after the CEL came on.

The truck also burned 5 gallons of gas in less than 40 miles. Yikes!

Got to a gas station and checked the codes. It indicated that TPS didn't agree with MAP, and the transmission control signal was high.

It settled a little after a restart, but still continued to act up. It calmed down after I intentionally revved the engine a little bit. Not sure if the TPS is sticking or something, but it seemed a little better.

Needless to say, truck is going back to the shop in the morning to have this taken care of. Hopefully this is just the TPS acting up and causing the computer/MAP/transmission to become grumpy.
Had same issue today. Idle going up and down. 100 to 200 rpm. Unplugged tps and idle stable. Hook it back up and it starts cycling again. I hook it back and reset computer. Now the idle is great but,...I drove about ten miles and punch the throttle to downshift. Engine light comes on and p0121, map sensor and tps disagree. Transmission go's crazy clunuking and shifting hard.

Quick Reply: Throttle Position Sensor Replacement