1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Missing Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 11:30 PM
00DD
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missing Cylinder

Hello, I'm new to the group but i already have a question. I've owned Dodges for the last 30 years, but i just bought a 2000 Durango with 122,000 miles, which is the newest one i've ever owned. i only had it 2 weeks when the check engine light came on. i took it to AZ, they put it on their tester and said it registered a miss on #4. i replaced the spark plugs, wires, rotor button, and distributor cap. 3 weeks and about 1000 miles later the light came back on. Got it tested and the same results; a miss on #4. Does anyone have any ideas?
thanks in advance!

Old 09-19-2006, 03:05 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Missing Cylinder

Did you buy it at a dealership? You should have a lemon law warranty on it to get them to fix it for you. Also were any of the plugs oil fouled you might have a rebuild on your hands...

Old 09-20-2006, 02:41 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure the wires are following the new TSB for the plug wires. If they are clear of each other, and you can eliminate the wires and the TSB as an issue, you have other issues. Check down the TB for oil, lots-o-oil (a plenum gasket issue) which could be affecting #4 if the leak is near there. Also, pull the #4 plug and take a look at it. How does it look? Fouled, burnt, normal?

IndyD

Old 09-20-2006, 04:14 PM
00DD

Thanks for the advice. When i changed the plugs they all looked good with no fouling. But i wasn't aware of a TSB on the spark plug wires. Where can i get a copy of this TSB?

Old 09-20-2006, 04:27 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If you but crapy wires on it or the wrong spark plugs in it that could be your problem. Go with Champions, regular (OEM) or Truck Plugs. Also get OEM wires or something like MSD or some just as good. Also it could be a injector. Also try the plenum gasket issue. As for a TSB, I have no idea what he is talking about.[sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 09-21-2006, 02:24 AM
IndyDurango
Champion

Now you'll get the idea Hshocker... lol

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1998/18-48-98/18-48-98.htm

The TSB came out early on for the Ds and STILL APPLIES to all Gen1s with the 5.2s and the 5.9s. The plugs will experience odd issues and pinging because of spark crossing the wires and other engine items if they are not routed in this recommended fashion. DISCLAIMER: If you have a super set of wires, super set of plug looms and wire management, you should be fine without moving the wires to match the TSB.

ALSO, make sure you are NOT NOT NOT running Platinum plugs in the Magnum. Stick with the OEM Champions or better yet, switch to the Autolite 3923s. Yes the Autolite 3923s. Gapped properly to .040, the 3923s should outperform any plug you can put in there. No book will tell you about the Autolites and they do not cross referrence to the Durango. HOWEVER, hundreds of literate and well informed D owners from other forums run the 3923s for better performance and less/no pinging issues regardless of fuel octane used. Myself included (the song "I'm a believer" is playing virtually in the background )

HTH

IndyDurango

Old 09-21-2006, 02:52 AM
89Daytona
Veteran

When the check engine light comes on is it raining/wet out? The sparkplug wires on my durango kept getting condensation on them while parked overnight and would prevent the vehicle from starting unless I took a heatgun (blowdryer) and dried the sparkplug wires. The wire routing TSB probably would have helped, but I sprayed the wires with a wire dryer (made by STP, I think it was silicone based) and it has worked well so far.

Old 09-21-2006, 04:04 AM
IndyDurango
Champion

ORIGINAL: 89Daytona

When the check engine light comes on is it raining/wet out? The sparkplug wires on my durango kept getting condensation on them while parked overnight and would prevent the vehicle from starting unless I took a heatgun (blowdryer) and dried the sparkplug wires. The wire routing TSB probably would have helped, but I sprayed the wires with a wire dryer (made by STP, I think it was silicone based) and it has worked well so far.
FWIW, a wet body of the plug wire will not cause any problems unless the plug wire is so old and/or broken down that the insulation is failing and allowing water access to the inner core. If so, replace the wires right away. They are way past due at that point.

A wet connection at the point of contact to the plug itself (from being old/or not seated on the plug properly) and a wet connection at the disty will certainly cause issues.

Your spray has sealed up one of those three issues above. I'd suggest a good new set of plug wires and not some AutoZone value line crap. Perhaps Mopar Performance, MSD or Magnecor (I have the later).

When you get your new wires, follow the TSB.

HTH,

IndyD

Old 09-21-2006, 08:52 AM
89Daytona
Veteran

They were brand new plugwires. I tired 2 different brands one from Advance Auto and one from NAPA, they both did the same thing.

Old 09-21-2006, 02:54 PM
IndyDurango
Champion

ORIGINAL: 89Daytona

They were brand new plugwires. I tired 2 different brands one from Advance Auto and one from NAPA, they both did the same thing.
Then as opposed to the original posters issue in this thread, yours is a completely different issue than his.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but, you haven't connected something quite right either time and continue with the same error. Either the plug isn't plugged into the wires correctly, or there is an issue around the disty. Dew will not cause that type of issue on the wire bodies alone. I can take a hose and wash down a running engine with no problems and that's of course a lot more H20 that cendensation and dew.

Are you using preformed and premade lengths or are you cutting the wires to fit yourself?

IndyD

Quick Reply: Missing Cylinder