1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Underheating Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 10:31 AM
Jpondo5.9
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Underheating WTH?!?!

I still think its weird about your t-stat doing that because I have a "cooler" rating on mine and utah isn't the coolest place but I as getting warm air yesterday morning driving home at 45deg and my temp gage said I was just over 130 maybe 135 or 140 but I had warm air... but for the tires FOR SURE>. LOL ... and its all good dude about the "poke fun" facter I am the youngest of 6 kids I get that a lot.. lol... but hell some times I need to stand the ground.. lol... but hope that gets sorted.. but if you are moving to Nevada then you wont have to worry as much.. maybe AC all year around lol.. that is if you are more towards the south (I think) then again I am up at 530am right now and have been working all night so everything I write rightnow my just be a bunch of crap I think sounds good.. LOL... peace for now JEff

Old 09-22-2006, 11:39 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff I am pretty sure it is just locked open. The way this T-stat was engineered was if it fails it stays open to help prevent overheating. I'm gonna dig around for a quality Jet 180* t-stat and try and get my $ back on this piece of garbage. The guys there at auto zone know me so I don't think it will be a problem, if nothing else I'll get store credit which is just as good since I always spend money there. As far as NV I'll still be in the cold I'm going to Reno. I just found out last night that my wifes transfer has been finalized and will be driving out on the 6th.

Old 09-23-2006, 04:08 AM
Jpondo5.9
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm Mike you bought it at auto zone what brand did you buy duralast? and if its locked open I can totaly understand you are already cooling your engine down before it even needs to be.. and sweet the transfer went through.. hope the move goes smoothly.. DAmn I hate to move.. oh well I guess I will have to some time in the future of my life... JP

Old 09-23-2006, 06:41 PM
Mean Green
Champion

The brand name is Failsafe and it is a failsafe t-stat. I think I'll take care of that next week because I am gonna order a Jet t-stat online instead of anymore junk from auto zone... I don't think I will mind moving too much this time around because I'm leaving a place I really hate and going to a place I really love. I am also pretty much getting a bunch of new stuff when I get there, we are only taking what I can fit in the D and in the Scion.

Old 09-24-2006, 03:30 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mean Green

Hey guys here's something I have never experienced or heard of for that matter, I was underheating on the way home!?!? I just installed a new 180* T-stat in my D a couple of weeks ago and tonight it was pretty chilly (60* or so) and I didn't grab my jacket because it was so nice this afternoon. Anyway Because I was freezing my ***** off I decided to not let my D warm up much and hopped in and took off so it would warm up faster while I was on the freeway which is 1/4 of a mile away. I hopped on and my D was taking forever to warm up then about 5 minutes into the ride it starts peeking above 130 I was like "Great I can turn on my heater soon!" well it went to about 140* and stayed there I was pretty annoyed so I went WOT from 75 mph to 110 mph real quick then let off and it poked up to maybe 150 and stayed there the rest of the way home until I got off the freeway. Once I was off and sitting at a light it started creeping up to 180. It was pointless to even turn on the heat because it was just blowing cold air on me. Has anyone heard of this because it is extremely annoying when you're in a cold truck and I can only imagine my gas mileage being horrible (more than normal ) from it being in a warm up mode... I guess i have to let it warm up for the 15 minutes it usually takes when it starts getting really cold. [:@]
I had that problem. I had water going around the T-stat. Go to the dealer and get another T-stat water neck $8. Remember theat they are metal and the intake is aluminum so the intake oxidizes and the neck breaks down fast. Replace the water neck and really clean the **** out of your intake manifold. You will have to put a little RTV silicone around the mounting surface between the new T-stat and the intake manifold to make sure no water can get by. Take the new water neck and shave the small **** off of it on the mounting surface before install. You need a good thick T-stat and possibly 2 gaskets or one good gasket that is fatter than regular and install it with a good sealing RTV. (I like the gold.) This will make sure that there is no room for water to get bye. It will force it through the T-stat.

I went through HELL with trying to figure that one out![:@]

Old 09-24-2006, 05:02 PM
Mean Green
Champion

Ok so the t-stat housing sounds like the problem huh? That's so crazy it just might work ! As far as sealing it up I usually just buy a regular old gasket and throw some black RTV on it. There is gonna be one problem though, I will need a new upper hose the one I have has become one with the housing LOL. I have tried to get that thing off and it won't budge. You don't think I can rig this one up to work with some extra cleaning do you? I really don't want to get anything from this dealership they are horrible here...

Old 09-24-2006, 06:33 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

Ya you might get it to work with some good cleaning or grind just a small bit off. Remember that if you take too much off that it wont seal right and buckle. Take those **** off for sure. Make sure you get a nice thick T-stat and a good thick gasket. Don't try to put too much sealant on there.[8D]

Old 09-25-2006, 04:06 AM
Mean Green
Champion

So what is the deal with those nipples why do they need to come off? I don't get it???

Old 09-25-2006, 11:52 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Same problem on mine. Had to replace the neck. But the damage to the aluminum intake is done. a good area of the aluminum is corroded away around the thermostat housing. Gaskets are now useless because of the amount of corrosion on the surface of the aluminum was too extensive. So we went to pure silicon sealant. Prayed a little and the Silicone sealant held. No leaks at least not in the past 10k miles so far. Apparently I had this leak for quite some time but never noticed it. I did smelled anti-freeze from time to time but could not pinpoint where the smell was coming from until I did a deeper investigation on the engine. It's one of those very small leaks where the heat of the engine evaporates the antifreeze before it had the chance to drip to the floor.

Oh well, if that silicone seal did not fix the leak, it would have given me the perfect excuse to upgrade to the M1 intake manifold!

Old 09-25-2006, 01:21 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame

The **** need to come off because the damage to the intake manifold and you cleaning it to bear medal will lower where your T-stat sits. You shave off the **** because you now need the neck to sit lower on manifold to properly seal it. The **** are there to keep a reasonable distance for the gasket so you don't over tighten it. Problem is that is for brand new install not for worn out parts. The intake manifold will be pitted from anti-freeze going around the T-stat. This is why you need to clean up the intake manifold mounting surface. Place a small bit of sealant before you put the T-stat in because you wont be able to get it perfectly flat. This will seal it up good and force the anti-freeze to go only through the T-stat and not around. Place some sealant on top of the T-stat before the gasket to seal it there too. Remember not to use very much sealant because when you tighten down the bolts some may scwish out and into the T-stat making it stick open or closed. Then seal it up on top of the gasket as normal. Let it sit over night to make sure of a great seal. Also put a 180 degree T-stat in if you haven’t all ready.

The old neck you will only see very worn out **** on it because of rust and damage but they are there.

Quick Reply: Underheating Problem