1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Mods you can't live without

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 11:21 PM
Big Durango
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mods you can't live without

I think I'll LOOK at fixing that up until I can afford the KN intake. I'm still in the "new" stage with my machine so I'm leery about messing it up. Will a cowl hood pretty much do the same thing...ram air?

Old 09-23-2006, 11:56 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No but it will let hot air out really well so your engine compartment will be a lot cooler.

Old 09-24-2006, 01:38 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mods are great.

BUT

Forget about saving gas. You are pushing a ton+ of non-areodynamic brick through the air with a muscle car's 360 motor that was invented nearly 40 years ago. Drive it like you stole it and have fun. You can baby the **** out of it and add every mod you will get recommended and have little real world impact on the MPG (the overhead computer is never right btw. Do hand calcs and see!) In fact, you'll be adding HP andbecasue of that, your right foot will increasing become heavier and heavier

IndyD

Old 09-24-2006, 02:19 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: Big Durango

Okay so I am thinking of future mods I want to do on my new (to me) 2000 Durango. It's a 5.9l (for those who haven't read my other thread) and I'd obviously like to get my fuel consumption down a bit.

Tells me the mods you have done to your trucks...the ones you couldn't live without.
Check out my sig. I just got 16.4 MPG running 85-75 MPH solid.

Old 09-24-2006, 02:49 PM
Digitoxin
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Big Durango

I think I'll LOOK at fixing that up until I can afford the KN intake. I'm still in the "new" stage with my machine so I'm leery about messing it up. Will a cowl hood pretty much do the same thing...ram air?

A cowl , ram air hood will force cool air in at your air cleaner box. To get the HP from it , you have to connect the hood to your air cleaner box, then you have a functional hood. I made my K&N into a funtional air cleaner to the hood. You can buy the kit also, but they are real expensive. If I were you, I'd save up and get the cool air intake K&N kit. They are designed to let the air free flow into your engine. A ram air hood is expensive and needs painted to match your Durango.
check my photos, the air cleaner/ hood pic is in my photo gallery.

Quick Reply: Mods you can't live without