1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Mods you can't live without

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 09:48 AM
Big Durango
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mods you can't live without

Okay so I am thinking of future mods I want to do on my new (to me) 2000 Durango. It's a 5.9l (for those who haven't read my other thread) and I'd obviously like to get my fuel consumption down a bit.

Tells me the mods you have done to your trucks...the ones you couldn't live without.

Old 09-23-2006, 11:56 AM
Digitoxin
Professional
Default RE: Mods you can't live without

ORIGINAL: Big Durango

Okay so I am thinking of future mods I want to do on my new (to me) 2000 Durango. It's a 5.9l (for those who haven't read my other thread) and I'd obviously like to get my fuel consumption down a bit.

Tells me the mods you have done to your trucks...the ones you couldn't live without.
I can't live without the mods I haven't done...LOL.... On my 03, the ones I have done and can't live without are the Superchip Programmer, and the K&N Cool Air Intake, and the functional Ram air hood. Mods I feel are a must ,but haven't done just yet are a Trans valvebody shift kit. The trans in the Durangos shift way to soft. You can mod tell the next haleys comet, but these are what I felt I would get the most performance for the cost first.

Old 09-23-2006, 06:31 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You also need to do an aftermarket exhaust of your choice. Depending on how loud you want and what kind of performance you want you can go from the headers all the way back, or moderate and get a cat back system, or if you want to do something under $200 go for a muffler alone. Digi hit the nail on the head with everything else. I personally want a setup very much like digi's (I want a different style hood though) + exhaust, and a fastman TB. You get a little power out of a colder T-stat as well but I would suggest not picking one up just anywhere. Go for a Jet 180* t-stat I have heard good things about them I put one in from auto zone a couple weeks ago and it failed on me this week... If you are broke like me and want a good intake take a look at this link Clicky Clicky.

Old 09-23-2006, 11:00 PM
Big Durango

Thanks guys. I just got off the phone to Autozone and they priced me a K & N intake at $260, which is about $35 less than K & N is selling it online for. I think this will be my first mod.

Mean Green, I like the idea of saving money when I can but I can just imagine what I would mess up by undertaking a project like you described in that link. The idea is great though. Have you finished it? What kind of performance changes occured?

Digi, when you added the new intake, what changed? HP? Gas mileage? Both?

Old 09-23-2006, 11:04 PM
Big Durango

If it would ever quit raining here in Tennessee, I'd get some pictures of my new baby took. I just picked it up from the shop earlier today where I was having a pretty bad scuff removed.

Anybody know where I can get a center cap to one of my wheels cheap?

Old 09-23-2006, 11:08 PM
Digitoxin
Professional

Thanks guys. I just got off the phone to Autozone and they priced me a K & N intake at $260, which is about $35 less than K & N is selling it online for. I think this will be my first mod.

Mean Green, I like the idea of saving money when I can but I can just imagine what I would mess up by undertaking a project like you described in that link. The idea is great though. Have you finished it? What kind of performance changes occured?

When I added the intake kit, I noticed more response on take off. Gas milage didnt change enough to really notice. The intake kit with better flow exhaust would help even more. I think I got a little better milage when I got the superchip programmer. But I only gained about one mile per gallon, and a lot more HP. I have to run supreme gas now, or it will ping.

Old 09-23-2006, 11:12 PM
Big Durango

ORIGINAL: Digitoxin

When I added the intake kit, I noticed more response on take off. Gas milage didnt change enough to really notice. The intake kit with better flow exhaust would help even more. I think I got a little better milage when I got the superchip programmer. But I only gained about one mile per gallon, and a lot more HP.
Ah, ok. So if a poor man like me could only undertake one such mod at a time, which would you suggest I do first?

Old 09-23-2006, 11:14 PM
Digitoxin
Professional

the K&N cool air intake.

Old 09-23-2006, 11:14 PM
Big Durango

That's what I was thinking as well. Thanks!

Old 09-23-2006, 11:16 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It wasn't a big undertaking at all and I got more power, better throttle response, and I initially reported 2 more mpg but lately it has been 1.5 more mpg. Best of all it only cost me $40. Another thing is the fact that there really isn't anything to mess up. You silicone the stock box with your MAF bracket hooked up wait an hour to let it set then put the hose on cut a hole in the rubber between the radiator and headlight and feed the tube through it. Simple instally difficulty is 1 out of 10 but I do admit the actual CAI looks better. You can probably find it even cheaper on ebay just don't bother with the cheapo CAI's go for the k&n or whatever other brand you prefer.

Quick Reply: Mods you can't live without