1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Excessive squeeking and #3 cylinder misfire

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 05:19 PM
tst31
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excessive squeeking and #3 cylinder misfire

OK, 99 Durango, 5.9L 4X4, 125K, stock as stock can be. Problem #1, while driving, truck squeeks excessively, even after taking to Midas, to which they suggested dousing all the bushings with PB penetrating catalyst. I did so, but the squeeking was still there. However, I did notice a significant change in the steering, as it got much easier! Anyway, the squeeks annoy the hell out of me, and I just want them to go away. It will even squeek when sitting still, and you turn the wheel to the left or right, but mostly when you are traveling about 20-35 mph. They seem to go away at higher speeds, strangely. Anyway, if there is another suggestion, short of replacing all the bushings, please fill me in.

Second issue, which just happened today, check engine light came on, so I break out the OBD. It says code P0303, misfire detected on cyclinder#3. Any suggestions where to start with this? No real noticeable misfire, to me, when driving. Seems to run fairly well, actually, but I want to fix this before it becomes a bigger problem. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-26-2006, 08:39 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Excessive squeeking and #3 cylinder misfire

#1 replace the bushings with polyurethane bushings and according to IndyDurango upgrade your sway bar (He posted pretty recently about a new sway for someone else with the squeaky bushings).
#2 you may need a tune up. I'd go that route and take a good look at your plugs to see if they are all fouled up, corroded, or improperly gapped. The problem could also be in your distributor cap also but like I said a tune up would be your best bet.

Old 09-27-2006, 05:01 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here you go:

On the squeak, the bushing will do it over and over and over. You can lube 'em, but it won't last long. If you want to replace them, you might as well do the entire sway. Here is the link to the same question about 10 posts before yours:

https://dodgeforum.com/m_568463/tm.htm

As for the misfire, check the plugs, cap, etc indeed. Also review this other post about 20 posts before yours which was also about a misfire. There is a TSB on rerouting the plug wires. The TSB along with the check/replacement of bad plugs, wires, cap, etc will fix it most of the time.

Here is the link:

https://dodgeforum.com/m_564070/tm.htm

Moral of the story, not eveyone would be so helpful. Some would flame you out over not doing a search first or just read a few posts below yours.

Best of luck and don't worry about it much. The Ds are rock solid and easy to fix. Treated right, it will last you a good long while.

IndyD <--- 2000 D with 5.9L and 159k+ miles.

Old 09-27-2006, 12:53 PM
Mean Green
Champion

Indy it's because we're just a bunch of nice guys.

Old 09-28-2006, 05:58 PM
tst31
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the excellent help. I just finished changing out the sparkplugs, and that seemed to certainly have helped. I had Champion 3071's in there before, since that was what I was told to put in by the local autoparts store. But, after a bit of research here, I found that it wasn't suggested to have the plats in, so I installed a Champion truck plug instead. The biggest change seems to be much smoother power delivery off idle, which I like. No check engine light since I erased it, so we'll see what happens. I plan on changing the wires and maybe even the distributor, anyway, sometime next week, since it seems like a good time to do so.

As far as the squeek goes, I will be looking into the sway bar upgrade soon. I went ahead and tried to lube the bushing in the meantime, but won't have the opportunity to do anything else this week. Whilie under the D, I was able to narrow the squeek down to somewhere in the left upper control arm, and not so much the sway bar. I did see that several of the bushings looked to be worn, so maybe I'll just start replacing all of them.

Thanks again for all the excellent help!

Old 09-28-2006, 06:11 PM
Mean Green
Champion

Yeah that's where my bushings are really looking bad too. Definitely try and keep the ignition system on the same maintenance schedule it will be a lot easier to keep track of what you need to do when you need to do it. Keep coming around we need more D owners sticking around the forums.

Quick Reply: Excessive squeeking and #3 cylinder misfire