1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 06:40 PM
RebelX
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default couple questions

i have a few questions and need some advice.

first...i know i have speakers in each of my doors. but where are the 2 other speakers located? by the rear cargo door in the side panels behind the vents or do i have to install them somewhere? i want to upgrade to Sony 4ways this winter.

second..can i run a procharger using stock compression and a stock bottom end using around 8psi? im looking at Prochargers P-1SC system for my Durango since i want a lil more power since i do pull my wifes horse trailer around the county as she is going to start barrel racing again.

thanks,
Ben

Old 09-26-2006, 08:28 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: couple questions

Well I don't know about any speakers in the rear but I don't pay much attention to that. As far as a supercharger I would say hold off on that until you redo your internals. If I were you I would take the money that you would use for a SC to get a CAI, exhaust, a programmer, a larger TB, and upgrade your gears to some 4.10's. That will provide you with all the power you need to tow and will not kill your gas mileage like a SC.

Old 09-27-2006, 02:01 AM
RebelX
Professional

ya know. that part escaped my mind till later this afternoon. i have the 3.92 gears right now. would it be smart to buy one of the cheap cai off ebay n swap a k&n filter on or buy the real deal? i want a gibson exhaust, saving up for that right now. thinking bout a throttlebody spacer. what size tb should i increase to?

the programmer...i'll leave that to the professionals since i know very little about the newer cars ecm systems.

Old 09-27-2006, 12:24 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As far as the speaker locations go. Stock OEM locations are only on the doors. There are no speakers on the dash nor the rear of the durangos. At most, from OEM, you get a 8 speaker setup. Dodge counts the little tweeter mounted on the speaker as a separate speaker! (what a joke). If you have an infinity system, you have two small tweeters mounted near the top of the front doors. Two mid-range woofers mounted at the bottom of the front doors. Two 2-way speakers mounted at the bottom of the rear doors.

Old 09-27-2006, 12:50 PM
Mean Green
Champion

Don't bother with a TB spacer they are no good for most modern vehicles. They work for carbeurated (sp?) vehicles. Get a larger TB from www.thefastman.com . As far as the prgorammer I had the same feelings about electronics and programmers but they make these things very user friendly so I would go for a programmer all the way then you can manipulate what you want when you want for different driving scenarios ie. towing, not towing, type of gas you want to use, etc. With the Ebay CAI I would say go for it just make sure tat the tubing will bring your filter out away from the engine and like you said throw a k&n filter on there. You may very well have all the gearing you need for towing the horse trailer. How much does everything weigh with your horse/horses loaded up?
Oh and Ken that's what I was thinking but it is not something I really look at enough. I need new speakers and I'll still do performance upgrades that I don't need over that.

Old 09-27-2006, 01:02 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If you roll with the 410 gears you are going to loose MPG's. The 392 are a good set for all around but if you tow a lot, then go with the 410's. Stay away from the TB spacers. They don't work for our engines. As for the TB, go to thefastman.com and order a TB from Dan. Tell him what you have done to the truck and what you plan on doing with it. He will help you out.

Old 09-28-2006, 02:54 AM
RebelX
Professional

thanks for all the help guys.

the horse trailer weighs about 4000pds guessing n id say bout 1600 for each of the two horses we haul in it.

ya i have the infinity system. thanks for the info..tweeters count as speaker? ya i agree..what a joke. has anyone put speakers in the back behind or around the rear seat? or would i be better off puttin a pair of 10" subs back there? my rear door speakers dont work for some reason. but i think the wires may have been cut off cause when you roll the windows down all the way it catches on something. gonna tear it apart tommorrow since i finally got a day off.

i'll check out fastman for the tb's...how big should i go? only pull the trailer during the late spring to early fall. rest of the time its normal driving. i run super unleaded gas in it all the time to keep it running smooth.

Old 09-28-2006, 08:17 AM
Jpondo5.9
Professional

if you look at the web site the fast man give you ideas what TB you might want if you are going to pull or race or what ever you are doing to your D.,. call find out what you might want.. I am going to get the 52mm TB when I get the cash. The superchip programer.. at lest I have read better reviews on that then the other programers you can buy and if you go to truckperfomance.com I found many parts on there prety cheep.. at lest a hundred bucks off what you find on there site many times..

as for the subs. there isn't much room for puting subs in the back like in the side of the D from what I have seen.. I had dual 10inch subs in the back and it was so loud it hurt my ears so I went back to one 10inch and have it in the back( I have third row seating so its just chillen in the back and I can always take it out easy if I want.. but if you are going to do a system like new speakers look into upgrading as well like buying an amp for your speakers so they can handle more power and replace that head unit (if you are traveling a lot and like music) and if you have any sort of mp3 player they have sweet head units that are ipod ready and have a usb port for all other mp3 players now that are fairly cheep from what they used to be... (and ebay CAI is ok my brother bought me one off ebay and the filter they give you is paper filter so you can only use it for about a half a year before you want to replace it.. FYI.. hope some of my rambling helps... JP

[IMG]local://upfiles/37899/CBDFA8E8D2204530846BFA940DA490BE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-28-2006, 12:56 PM
Mean Green
Champion

Like JP said call dan and he will let you know which TB you would be best using. I was actually thinking about trying to find someone who can fabricate a speaker box/enclosure right behind the hubs. I have seen it done on Trucks! (or one of those other Spike programs) and it looked easy but they always make everything look easy.

Old 09-28-2006, 01:53 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is my first vehicle without a modification audio system. I gave up on tweaking my audio with something nice. All of my previous vehicles with custom audio systems, were broken into and stolen at least once. I decided to give up on this trade as I cannot fanthom what my state of mind would be if someone broke into my D and tore everything up. The infinity OEM system sounds good enough for me and bass thumping is a thing of the past for me as I am much older and more mature and have family now! But I did swapped out my blown OEM infinity speakers with some real Infinity 6012's and the sound is just awesome. But I did lose a little bit of bass as these true infinity speakers do not have the deep cone depth as the OEM's to generate the deep bass tone. But I am very satisfied with the new sound overall. I would like to replace the OEM 4 channel amp with a little stronger 4 channel amp but to date, I have not been able to find a good quality brand 4 channel amp that can fit in the same mounting location as the OEM. I prefer to keep everything hidden from view to maintain the stock look and not have to worry about someone breaking into my D.

Quick Reply: couple questions