1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Mobil 1 ATF okay for our transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 08:27 PM
klm4445
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mobil 1 ATF okay for our transmission?

The actual is answer to your question on using Mobil 1 synthetic transmission fluid is "ABSOULETLY NOT". Call the 800 number on any Mobil 1 bottle and they will tell you that Mobil 1 is not to be used in Chrysler transmissions. They will even mail you a paper stating such, I have a copy. The reason is Mobil 1 is a Dexron based fluid and you cannot use Dexron fluid in a Chrysler transmision. When you go to a oil change business and have your transmission flushed, they will use approved chrysler fluid or they will use Dexron fluid with 2 to 4 ounces of a special additive that makes the dexron fluid capatable with chrysler transmissions. This special additive may work with Mobil 1 but you will need to call them. I found the Mobil 1 technical people to be straight foward and informative. I have used Mobil 1 products for years...

Old 07-05-2006, 09:00 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

While it is not ATF+3 or ATF+4 approved, Mobil recommends it for Chrysler transmissions.
The Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF main page specifically says, "Recommended for Chrysler automatic transmissions."
The product data sheet says, "Also recommended by ExxonMobil for Chrysler automatic transmissions."
A call to local dealership got a "I would not see a problem putting it in there, if it was mine, I'd see no problem in using it."
However, if you are that paranoid, you can always use "dyno" ATF+X or Chrysler synthetic ATF+X.

Old 07-06-2006, 07:17 PM
klm4445
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stand corrected. Dodgerules86 is correct. I called Mobil 1 and since they became Exxon/Mobil the ATF fluid has been reformulated to meet the specifications of ATF+3 or ATF+4. Just make sure you use the new Super Synthetic fluid and not some of the earlier ATF fluid (which is no longer available, but may be collecting dust in the back storeroom).

Old 07-06-2006, 07:39 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea. When I called them yesterday, the guy I talked to was a real *****. But, you know how them customer/tech support people are... he probably just lost a game of solitare... sitting in front of computers all day is sooo hard.

Old 07-07-2006, 11:52 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ATF+3 is either regular oil or semi synthetic, but ATF+4 is 100% synthetic. Read in the manual that those Durango's that are on ATF+3 can upgrade to ATF+4 without any problems, but those with ATF+4 cannot downgrade.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 ATF okay for our transmission?