1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Faint coolant smell inside - but no steam or leak. Bad heater core???

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 01:20 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Faint coolant smell inside - but no steam or leak. Bad heater core???

I am sure each person had a very bad experience with a vehicle sometime in their lifetime. Unfortunately some more than once. But I must say this from a neutral point of view that all auto manufacturers have their flaws and always someone get the bad apple of the bunch.

My first brand new car that led me to near financial ruin and lost of not graduating from college is my 85 dodge shelby charger. I have a 3 inch ring binder filled with nothing but service receipts. If the Lemon law existed back in 1985, I would not be stating this today about my first new car. Even with the 7/70 warranty, I was still without a car for about a 1/3rd of a year while going to college and nearing ruined my grades because of being absent from school. It was a 10 mile one way commute to get to school. It wasn't until after the warranty expired that the problems slowly went away. Wierd. But in most part, back in 1985, when living in small rural towns, you just don't have the experieced high tech crew around to properly work on a high tech turbo sports car. They ruined everything and spliced everything up. I made a promise when i first bought this 1985 Shelby and that was to keep it for 20 years. I almost fulfilled that promise even tho I nearly ruined my life driving it. But back in 2001, just 4 years shy of 20 years, the 5 speed tranny blew up on it. The tranny could not even be rebuilt because the aluminum casing is cracked. So I called and searched the U.S. for a month before I was able to find another used 5 speed tranny from a junk yard. Flushed out the fluids and 3rd gear making a whiny noise. Then wifey just cannot take the financial beating anymore and we departed the Shelby to another owner that will carry the torch... Fortunately the new buyer was a collector so I hope my Shelby is in good hands. I paid 11k for this car brand new. I invested over 8k in maintenance and repairs in its lifetime. Sold it for 1.9k.

Everything mechanically and electrically you can think of under the hood and around the car has been replaced or rebuilt. The car before it was sold had a 2k restored paint job with its original near impossible to find OEM decals. Interior was in near mint condition. Car had only 85k original miles.

But I gaved Dodge another chance in 2001, I bought a 2000 R/T durango used at 21k to carry my family around in.

At present I am at 79k and these are my major repairs:

Governor Actuator Switches at 30k
Heater core went out at 44k
Front main crank seal at 78k
Fan Clutch at 78k

Minor repairs to address small issues:

Throttle position sensor at 31k - Fixed my cruise control surging problem
Transmission and Speed sensors at 65k - Addressed my full throttle not upshifting issue.

Other than that, everything else is just regular or extreme maintenance that I do.

5k synthetic oil changes
15k transmission oil changes including transfer case
15k axle fluid changes
every 2 years, champion Iridium truck plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc maintenance
Stock replacement K&N filter - clean once a year
annual coolant replacement
Original OEM Brake pads replaced at 77k with ceramic pads.

So far, my Durango has held up and the major issues are to be expected given the mileage but I did not expect the heater core to go out so early. The good thing for my Durango is my highly reputable dodge dealer in today's time and age, are much more knowledgable and experienced in the high tech stuff compared to 20 years ago. So everything they did to service my Durango, they did it properly without messing something else up in the process.

Currently my Durango is still in Mint condition inside out. My Durango is never out in the sun except for when it is on the road or going out shopping/eating. It is always garaged both at home and at work.

So after given a second chance I am happy and and still loyal to Chrysler/Dodge products.

Old 11-08-2006, 04:31 PM
etd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Faint coolant smell inside - but no steam or leak. Bad heater core???

Hello everyone, I was researching on a leak I recently noticed on my 2000 durango and ran accross this site. I am hoping someone can shed some light on what is happening. There is a leak coming from a small port hole on the firewall in engine compartment (front of the passenger side) that I have confirmed to be water. It only leaks when I have the heater running but completely stops when the heater is off. I am very concerned because I purchased this vehicle used about 5 days ago. The leak is not a trinkle but a steady flow of drops. Does anyone have any idea what the problem is and how I can resolve it...Please!!

Old 11-08-2006, 05:05 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does it smell like coolant? and what year is your D
________
Chevrolet chevelle specifications

Last edited by jonnymagnum; 05-08-2011 at 03:44 AM.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:00 PM
etd

jonnymagnum, i let the fluid drop onto a napkin and thats how i came to that conclusion that it was water. is coolant and water pretty similar? how can it i tell for sure? im a pro when it comes to I.T. stuff but the opposite when it comes to engines and cars. i would have to compare the leaks with the coolant from the dipstick and get back to you i guess. btw its a 2000 durango r/t. any ideas?

Old 11-09-2006, 03:37 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ETD,

There is a drain on the pass side for condensation and discharge. Usually you will see it when running the AC or defrost. I'd say that is it and it is normal. You should have a small tube and perhaps the tube is missing. The water simply drips to the ground. That is normal. When the drain is plugged, bad things happen. I'd bet that is it. It isn't wet on the inside right?

IndyDurango

Old 11-09-2006, 03:51 AM
etd

Yeah, I brought it to a local meknic and they confirmed the same. In fact, he explained almost exactly as you did...hmmmm, is that you ray?? just kidding... I was a little concerned that I needed to bring it in for repairs seeing as I just purchased it a few days ago, but so far so good....im lovin' this R/T....next search im doing is replacing components that will extend the life of my ride. the previous owner kept the vehicle in emaculate condition and I plan on doing the same.... good lookin' out, indy...btw, no leaks inside!!!!

Quick Reply: Faint coolant smell inside - but no steam or leak. Bad heater core???