1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Faint coolant smell inside - but no steam or leak. Bad heater core???

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 03:57 PM
Poe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Faint coolant smell inside - but no steam or leak. Bad heater core???

Hi all,

I have a 2000 'D' SLT+ 2WD 5.2L - 110,000 miles

I'm about 90% sure this is a bad heater core, but thought I'd throw it out here just in case. I have a faint but noticable coolant smell coming from the vents - whether set on A/C or heat - temp hot or cold. It doesn't seem as bad when set to 'Max A/C' (recirculate). I'm NOT getting any film on the windshield and I can't find any wet spots on the carpet under the dash or on the floorboard. I also don't see any evidence of leaking under the hood. I'm guessing that the heater core is weeping just enough coolant to evaporate off of it and cause the smell, but not enough to wet the floor. I'm afraid I'm sitting on a ticking time bomb.

Anybody know of anything else I should check before I take it to the shop (or set a match to it)? I found one thread here where someone mentioned the possibility of cutting a hole in the firewall to access the core rather than tearing the dash out. Has anyone actually done that yet?

Old 10-12-2006, 04:24 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Faint coolant smell inside - but no steam or leak. Bad heater core???

welcome to the club, it is your heater core. they are a PITA to do. I did mine about a month ago and it took me about a weekend to do it. I just took my time. and now I noticed it's leaking again. my floor gets damp now and I smell a faint coolant smell. my last one was soo bad I had to bypass it till I got it fixed.[:@] I'm hoping to change mine again over the winter while it's put away and then cut an access door or somethin like that for next time so I dont have to pull the dash again.

p.s. make sure you CHECK the new heater core BEFORE you put it in. I learned the hardway.[:@]
________
BIG DICK LATINO

Last edited by jonnymagnum; 05-08-2011 at 03:19 AM.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:43 PM
2000RT
Default RE: Faint coolant smell inside - but no steam or leak. Bad heater core???

I agree, it sounds like the heater core.

The only way to make sure is to by pass it, and see if the smell goes away.

Good Luck!

[8D]

Old 10-13-2006, 04:39 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Poe, try the things we mentioned already and that may take care of it.

IndyDurango

Old 10-13-2006, 09:50 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

welcome to DF....

heater cores suck! the last one I had that was bad I sent to a shop. they swapped it out, the new one leaked so they had to swap the new one out again. better them then me...

my suggestion is that before you put it all back together, fill it up and test it.

Old 10-13-2006, 12:49 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Welcome. You most likely have a seeping heater core and it will need to be replaced. The leak is just very small but will cause you some grief if not taken care of.

Old 11-06-2006, 11:51 AM
Poe

Thanks for the replies guys. I took care of it alright. I traded it in for a Toyota.

I'm TIRED of throwing money at this POS. This was my first - AND LAST - Daimler-Chrysler product.

Good luck.

Old 11-06-2006, 12:23 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for your two wonderful posts, your only posts BTW. Glad to see you were so thoughtful to let us know your opinions and decesions.

Durangos give what they receive. Take care of them and they will take care of you. There are many ways to prevent in line coolant corrosion, however if you fail at the upkeep, it is already to late.

I'm sure many in the DCX community would have bought your D for more than trade value, but alas... er... nevermind.

Best of luck with your Toy.

IndyDurango

Old 11-06-2006, 01:38 PM
2000RT

ORIGINAL: IndyDurango

Thanks for your two wonderful posts, your only posts BTW. Glad to see you were so thoughtful to let us know your opinions and decesions.

Durangos give what they receive. Take care of them and they will take care of you. There are many ways to prevent in line coolant corrosion, however if you fail at the upkeep, it is already to late.

I'm sure many in the DCX community would have bought your D for more than trade value, but alas... er... nevermind.

Best of luck with your Toy.

IndyDurango
Very well put Indy!

Old 11-06-2006, 11:02 PM
Poe

Back atcha: clicky

Quick Reply: Faint coolant smell inside - but no steam or leak. Bad heater core???