1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Gears slipping, tranny slipping, or evil trolls?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 08:28 PM
robust57
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gears slipping, tranny slipping, or evil trolls?

I just recently started having a problem with my 98 durango. I have bigger tires 32x11.5, 110k, stock everything else. Every day I have to make a u-turn to get going to the right way and about 3/4 through the turn (the point where you want to accelerate) my D doesn't accelerate (rpm's go up but no go) it feels like there's slippage in my rear diff. Then as I straighten it out the rear wheels peel out and then grab ahold and everything is fine. Wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and what thier solution was hopefully its not the 1 inch bigger tires causing damage to the diff or tranny. I am planning on getting new bigger gears would that help solve the problem?

Old 07-15-2004, 02:01 AM
jhnrckr
Default RE: Gears slipping, tranny slipping, or evil trolls?

It sounds like it is your diff, not your trans but pay attention to your shift points. If the trans is shifting when this happens you might have a trans problem but you would most likely notice the problem when you are not turning. Have you checked your gear lube? How old is it and does it have metal in it? How bad does it smell and have you added any kind of anti slip additive? Bigger gears won't help, it is probably your clutches going out.

Old 07-15-2004, 02:29 PM
robust57
Rookie
Default RE: Gears slipping, tranny slipping, or evil trolls?

Thanks I'll take a look at all that stuff. btw you are correct its only when I am doing sharp turns, which is why I was leaning toward the diff but wasn't sure. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Gears slipping, tranny slipping, or evil trolls?