1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

I will never buy another.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 06:25 PM
notpleased
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I will never buy another.....

I seriously need to vent about the problems we have had with our 98 Durango.

The trucks got just under 70k and we have had the following problems,

1. Rear end differential replaced (I hear this is a common flaw)

2. ABS/Brake light sensors (took two trips to a Dodge dealer to get fixed and two Saturdays of leaving the vehicle all day)

3. Clogged radiator ????? And the dealership says this is not covered under warranty ($500+) to fix.

I just sold a 95 Ford T-bird (yes, a Found On Road Dead car) with 90K miles, not a single problem the life of the car. The Durango has less miles, less years and way more issues.

We have had all the scheduled maintenance done which includes radiator flushes. This third "issue" is the straw that broke the camel's back. I am totally disatisfied with this vehicle and now consider it an unreliable POS. I will not buy a Dodge ever again. I apologise to the happy Dodge owners on this forum I am not here for any other reason other than to vent and see if anyone else has had this many problems with their truck. Also curious to know if anyone thinks the radiator issue should be covered under the extended warranty.

Old 05-24-2004, 06:46 PM
Dodgegirl19
Lady Administrator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: I will never buy another.....

I'm sorry to hear that. Did you buy it new or used? How many radiator flushes have you done? I've heard the last ingredient in the Mach Flush System process can clog the radiator over time as it is a conditioner to 'fill' any holes and after so many times, it can hinder the flow and clog it... the last step is not necessary and many places leave it out... perhaps that is the issue? Incorrect coolant in the radiator is also a common reason radiator's clog...

I would totally think the Radiator should be covered, but it depends on what extended warranty you got. What is the reason they gave you that it's not? There are two part numbers for the radiator for your truck. The first one costs $400 but the second one replaces the previous more expensive one and is only $254 dollars. (52028775AH is the part number on the cheaper one.) Make sure they aren't trying to bone you on that!

You could even pick up a cheaper radiator aftermarket... ask them what they would charge for labor only... that is if they aren't going to budge on the not covered under warranty issue.

~Amanda

Old 05-24-2004, 07:02 PM
notpleased

We did buy it brand new. We are going to pull out our old invoices tonight after work to see how many flushes have been done. I know my wife (its her Durango) has had all the recommended services done and maybe that indicates how many.

The extended warranty we purchased from Dodge at the time of the sale is a 7yr/70k. Not sure if there are different kinds of warranties. More paperwork to dig out.

The $500 quote included labor also so it sounds like we are getting the cheaper of the two parts.

Why this isn't covered under warranty still not sure, we will discuss it with them at bill payment time.

Thanks for your reply Dodgegirl19. Nice looking truck btw.

Old 05-24-2004, 07:21 PM
Dodgegirl19
Lady Administrator

Wow... then I would think the dealership would step up and take of it since you guys have done all the recommended maintainance. I'm not sure if you have, but I'd like to recommend to you talking to the Service Manager or General Manager and say, NICELY and CALMLY (that goes SO far):

"We bought this Durango brand new from you and had all the service done here faithfully. Everytime your advisors told me or my wife that it needed recommended maintainance, we went ahead with it. I paid for an extended warranty... and yet I'm told this isn't covered... I had the rear differential replaced, had issues with the ABS Sensors... and now this? I'm very unsatisfied with this vehicle and I'm now at the point where I'll never buy another Dodge. We've put alot of money into your service department over the years. With all the recommended maintainance I got, it doesn't seem to have helped at all... Is there something you can do to restore my faith in this dealership and this car company?"

And see what they have to say... you have nothing to lose... and perhaps a free replacement of a half off deal or something to gain. I would think speaking to the General Manager would be better as he is more concerned with customer happiness... but the Service Manager can make the decision too and either way, it'll come out of the Service Dept budget.

Again, I *HATE* hearing that people don't like their Dodge or won't ever buy another... as I'm an ever faithful Dodge lover... but I also don't think it's right that you've done everything they've recommended, and then this... the flushes are to PREVENT this... yet it didn't prevent anything.

I so hope you'll talk to the General/Service Manager and see if there is something they'll do for you... seems to me you've paid this dealership plenty over the years.

Thank you for the compliment on my truck!! She's a good truck and I'll never buy anything but Dodge.

~Amanda

Old 05-24-2004, 07:34 PM
notpleased

That is a very good suggestion and makes sense to tell them that. We will see what happens tomorrow when we pick it up !

Old 05-24-2004, 07:41 PM
Dodgegirl19
Lady Administrator

Well, I know you're hating your Dodge... but you are always welcome here and I hope you'll come back and let us know what the dealership does or says. GOOD LUCK!!

~Amanda

Old 05-24-2004, 08:21 PM
seanery
Rookie

Sorry about your problems, but I've got to say, the new gen of cars 04 Durango & Pacifica from Daim/Chrys are very nice. My family has owned quite a few Mopars in the past and these new cars are heads and toes above the previous generation autos. My brother swore off Plym/Chry/Dodge 8 months after his Stratus purchase (when they first came out). He's unsworn (LOL) off them now.

I hope your dealer does you right. Be thankful you don't have a British POS Range Rover. Then you'd really know about reliability and $$ issues. I spent over 3700 bucks on mine the last year I owned it and only drove it 6500 miles that year.

Old 05-25-2004, 07:28 PM
notpleased

My wife and I have been further soured about this whole deal.

After being told yesterday by the service guy that the clogged radiator was not covered under the extended warranty we reviewed our warranty manual last night and it says right in there under Engine\Cooling System the radiator is covered.

Today we called the Warranty provider directly and was told the repair was not being covered "due to negligent maintenance of the radiator" because a clogged radiator is considered a result of neglect. Ok so there are a couple of things wrong now. One, we were told by the service guy at the dealer "the radiator was not covered" which is not correct. Two, we had ALL the scheduled maintenance done at this dealer in question including two radiator flushes at 30k and 60k. So who is negligent ?!?!

In speaking with the Warranty provider we told the person this exact same thing that all the scheduled maintenance HAD been done AND at a Dodge dealer nonetheless. He said to have the service guy fax over the invoices and he would reveiw again.

You can draw several conclusions or theories based on these discussions.

1. The Dodge dealer did not perform the radiator flushes that we were billed for and thus fraudently charged us for service not performed.

Or
2. Despite following the regular maintenance as specified by Dodge, due to poor engineering/craftsmanship the radiators will clog anyway.

3. The service guy was covering up 1. or 2. by telling us it was not covered under warranty and hoped we would not call the Warranty provider directly.

Or
4. The service guy is an idiot and did not tell us accurately over the phone why the radiator was not being covered (neglect vs not covered)

Now, not only do we have a vehicle that we consider poorly built, but to get repairs done we have to deal with a service department that is either fraudulent or does not know what they are doing.

And I should buy another Dodge because......... ?

At this point we are waiting to hear back from the "service guy" (oxymoron) as to whether or not the work will be covered. My wife and I are now weighing the descision of purchasing an extended warranty or dumping this vehicle all together and getting something else. Guess what the new truck WON'T be !

Signed,
Completely Pissed (formely Notpleased)

Old 05-25-2004, 07:46 PM
Dodgegirl19
Lady Administrator

Definately sounds like the dealer is trying to take you for a ride. Clogged radiators are NOT an overly common issue on Dodges... honest to goodness they aren't... and I'd have to agree with you on #1 and #4.

I would get out of the Durango since you are so unhappy with it... don't bother with it any longer. It's very evident this dealership totally turned you off... just sell it and be done. Buy what you consider to be reliable and I wish you all the best of luck.

In my honest opinion, I think your dealer is screwing you here... not so much the Durango. They are reliable and not overly problematic vehicles... the dealer seems to be fishy. Perhaps in the future you'll feel differently and try another Dodge... if you do, please consider changing your dealer... I feel they caused most (95%) of this radiator issue.

Best of luck!! I hope they cover it... ESPECIALLY if you have the on your warranty... there is NO reason they should turn you down. Tell the warranty company you'll send over your copies for proof if need be, the dealer is playing games... trying to make a few extra bucks.

~Amanda

Old 05-25-2004, 08:19 PM
notpleased

Final bill........$82.51. Paying for the fluids only.

Despite these issues my wife still loves her Durango and we will probably keep it. (ok I like it too when it works). We both agreed to buy it afterall.

Dodgegirl19, thank you for being the voice of reason during my tirade.

I apologise again to the happy Dodge owners here in this forum for coming into your house and kicking your dog. Everyone here obviously loves their vehicles and I can certainly appreciate and respect that. I own a vehicle from another manufacturer and participate in that forum as well and people there can get defensive when people say things in the negative regardless of the justification. I did not receive anything like that here and that says a lot about this forums members.

Perhaps I can be positive contributor in the future now that I know where you all hang out.

See you on the road....

- Dave

Quick Reply: I will never buy another.....