1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

help with upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 03:49 PM
hamper19
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with upgrades

I'm picking up my 2000 5.9L tomorrow and already have the itch to figure out what I'm doing to it

So far I've read about the suggested 52mm TB from the fastman which I think i will go with.

What about exhaust and intake, which do you guys reccomend?

I was looking at of course K&N, but then came across the AEM dry flow air intake which doesn't need to be oiled. The oil from my K&N on my explorer messed up my MAF sensor, and i had to get it replaced.

I see a lot of people here have the magnaflow exhaust, any particulr application? Also I am looking for a deep agressive tone (aside from the performance increase of course). Honestly the louder the better, provided it doesn't sound like I have a hole in the muffler.

Also what about a high flow cat?

thanks

Kris

Old 10-13-2006, 05:30 PM
deerang
All Star
Default RE: help with upgrades

Louder the better for exhaust eh, that was exactly my mentality when picking a muffler. I went with a Flowmaster super-40. It is deep, and makes it sound like i have a lot more then a 4.7 under the hood. It doesn't sound like the exhaust has been tuned, but more like a muffled straight pipe.

I should have gone with a full cat-back exhaust for better flow, but im really satisfied with what i got.

there are sound clips at http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/mufflers.html simply click on one of the mufflers, and below the cut-away picture is a button that says sound clip.

Old 10-13-2006, 07:11 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts

go with the K&N, and consider a 6x9 filter to replace the stock cone one... flows better and allows the motor to breath more. on the exhaust, stick with a single in/3" out setup or if you want duals, dont exceed 2.25" on them. you'll loose too much low end torque

Old 10-19-2006, 04:53 PM
hamper19

I think I had either the 40 or 50 series delta flow on my 94 explorer...

How come when you look up exhaust "kits" on flowmaster the only one for a durango comes with the 70 series muffler?

Old 10-20-2006, 12:10 PM
Digitoxin
Professional

ORIGINAL: hamper19

I think I had either the 40 or 50 series delta flow on my 94 explorer...

How come when you look up exhaust "kits" on flowmaster the only one for a durango comes with the 70 series muffler?

I think its because the 70 series is quieter for street, but you can use another series muffler.

Quick Reply: help with upgrades