1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

catalytic converter

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 06:09 AM
mopar34
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default catalytic converter

Just one of many questions regarding my 2000 Durango. I have had a miss for quite some time and was getting some sort of "silt" material blowing out my exhaust pipe. I had a new throttle posisition sensor put on and it did not change anything. A freind of mine told me that I needed to clean out the catalytic converter and that it would fix the problem. Well, I did just that and now the computer is throwing several different codes. I contacted Chrysler and and they told me that I needed to purchase a new converter for a 4.7L v8 and it would cost me about $600.00 for a mopar replacement. My question to any one out there is, Do I need to put the same converter back on the vehicle that it came with, or can I just find a converter for any v8 dodge truck with the same diameter exhaust pipe?

Old 10-19-2006, 07:26 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: catalytic converter

As far as replacing the kitty kat goes, you can get one from Jegs or Summit, most of the time for under $100. Just make sure everythings the right size.
As far as installation goes, you can use exhaust clamps. If you wanna get it welded and you or a friend doesn't have a welder, a exhaust shop can usually do this pretty cheap.

Old 10-19-2006, 12:43 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

While you are at it get a Hi Flow Performance Cat. You will be happy and when and if you do the exhaust system it will already be installed.

Old 10-19-2006, 12:45 PM
89Daytona
Veteran

What did you use for cleaning out the cat?
What color was the silt?

Old 10-19-2006, 02:54 PM
mopar34

The silt is black. I can also tell you that the engine is burning very rich. I took the converter off and used a crow-bar to loosen the webbing inside and removed it. I put the empty converter back on the vehicle. Can I use any size converter or do I have to put one just for a 4.7? Any help to this on going problem will be greatly appreciated!

Old 10-19-2006, 03:00 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you have to go with a converter customed for your vehicle. Because alot of vehicles may have sensors that monitors the pollution level of gases. If you have a converter not tailored for you vehicle, your sensors may throw a code and you may or may not pass inspection.

They make OEM converters as well as performance converters.

So go with Hydra's recommendation and get a performance converter. It will have a higher flow to give you a little more power and I think the cost of a performance converter is not much more than the regular converter. Either of these converters is alot cheaper than getting a OEM converter from the dealer.

Old 10-20-2006, 03:26 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

He has a 2000... meaning he has 3 converters, 1 off each e-manifold, then 1 before the muffler. one thing you could do is to find out what is causing the problem with the cats and fix that 1st. I started an O2 sensor cleaning thread over in the 2nd gen ram forum, have a look. it's easy and effective.

Quick Reply: catalytic converter