1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2002 R/T transmission Funny

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 03:46 AM
vbrondz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 R/T transmission Funny

I have 2002 R/T, my transmission acting funny, looks like it is having problems switching from first gear,it does goes forward, but sounds like it hangs up for a while and then switches, if i take off very, very slow it does switch normal at 1500-1700 rpms otherwise it will go over 2500 rpm, i flushed transmission, put some lucas untislip, it changed a bit but not perfect. Any Ideas ????

Old 10-23-2006, 04:38 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 2002 R/T transmission Funny

You may need to have your tranny checked. It may be the actuator governor switches going out. Depending on how many miles you got on your tranny, you may need to do a tranny service. (not the usual flush and fluid change) Tranny service, will incorporate re-adjusting the bands, etc.. You may also want to change out both speed and trans sensors depending on your mileage.

Old 10-24-2006, 03:08 AM
vbrondz

Thanks for an answer, i am leaning towards bands or/and computer work done on this car, I think someone adjusted it for faster taking off from stop light. Could it be ? Drove it today and again, love it, but would be better if they would not messed with it.

Old 11-07-2006, 08:38 AM
DrCinGa

I had the same problem about two months ago. I have a 2001 Durango R/T. 5.9L Had a Dodge mech. check it with his computer, came up with some strange code he didnt recognize.
Good mech though. He suggested a fix and was right on the money. There are three speed sensors that tend to go bad. One in the side of the tranny. One in the tranny pan and one in the rear differential. I changed the side sensor and the rear differential sensor before I saw the mechanic, at about $95 each. Again, his computer spit out some strange code, but he suggested the tranny pan sensor. He was right. Another $100, but what a relief. I thought my transmission was going to blow up. Give your VIN number to a Dodge svs. tech and they can tell you what model transmission you have and what sensors may be bad. Good Luck!

Old 11-07-2006, 11:47 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm, a 3rd sensor that is in or on the Transmission pan? I'll have to check on that and have it changed out. Usually the 2 sensors or 3 sensors work and depend on each other so if one of the 2 or 3 goes out, it is best to change all 3 of them out.

Quick Reply: 2002 R/T transmission Funny