1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

amp with stock head unit.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 03:44 PM
DuckDodger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default amp with stock head unit.

Hey guys, I had a quick question.
I want to throw a sub and an amp in my D. I assume the Infinity head unit has no RCA outputs, are there rear speakers that I can splice off of?

How did any of you guys do it with a stock head unit, I have another head unit but did not want to go through the hassle of pulling my dash and getting an install kit.

Old 11-24-2006, 10:36 PM
02silverango
Default RE: amp with stock head unit.

you can always splice off the rear speakers in the rear doors but it's a headache to run the wiring back through the door and hide them so it looks stock... i've had personal trouble amping infinity and bose head units. the sound you get from amping sounds like crap and it cuts sound to the rears. go aftermarket on the head unit. you can get some alpines really inexpensively, around $199, ranging up to $1500. so even though i'm rambling on, your best bet is going aftermarket if you want halfway decent sound.

Old 11-25-2006, 08:50 PM
PJ2

Yes. But IMO you would be better off to get a harness from crutchfield or similar and place it directly behind the radio. You can then run your trigger ( lower voltage wire ) and the new RCA wires that will hook up to your line level converter you need to buy and run these together. Look at powered subs, some have line level converters built in! If you have power seats there is little room under the seats for amps. A powered sub solve this. Running wires under the carpet on either side of the D is not difficult.

Old 11-26-2006, 12:01 AM
BLACKonBLACKonBLACK
Rookie

You should not splice off of an amplified circuit if you intend to RE amplify it in your sub. What i did was i spliced into the input wires goin into the amp which is located in the front passenger kickplate. PM me for more details

Quick Reply: amp with stock head unit.