1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

antifreeze leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 03:21 AM
rayven150
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default antifreeze leak

I am having a strange problem. I seem to be having an antifreeze leak from the rear passenger side of my 2001 Durango. I do also have an antifreez smell up front also. What could it be ? Are there hoses coming from the heater core that go to the back ?
Thanks

Old 10-26-2006, 11:29 PM
tattoohead
Professional
Default RE: antifreeze leak

Freezeplug maybe?..there's a bunch of 'em on the 8cyl.

Old 10-27-2006, 04:20 AM
rayven150

Well the leak is actually in the back of the Durango not the back of the block if that what you meant. Its back by the rear bumper. Thanks for your reply.

Old 10-27-2006, 12:44 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Are you sure it is antifreeze and not window cleaner from the reservoir in the back? Some of the D's have the reservoir back under the hatch passenger side and some of the D's have a line that goes back to the back window from the reservoir under the hood.

Old 10-27-2006, 02:00 PM
2000RT

Just a shot.

Are you parking on a hill, and could the antifreeze be running
down the frame to the back of you D ?

Old 10-28-2006, 04:16 AM
rayven150

Thanks for the reply. Im positive it is antifreeze it is bright green and I can smell it also.
Are there any extra lines because of the heat and air controls in the back of the Durango ?
Thanks

Old 10-28-2006, 04:26 AM
rayven150

My drive way is pretty straight and I notice it anywhere I park you can visable see it leaking when I stop and there is always a puddle when I come out of where ever I was. My husband has gotten under it and said that there are several hoses where it is leaking from but dosnt know what the hoses are. He hasnt been able to investigate any farther because he is having trouble with his back and Cant get down under it good enough. I just thought Id see if anybody had the same trouble at one time or another before I took it in somewhere to be checked. I really like to do my homework before I take it somewhere because some places really try to take advantage of women. I went in to get some new tires on my Durango a couple of months ago when I tried to tell the guy what size I needed he said I can see what size you need. My first clue that I might be in trouble. Then he goes out and walks around my Durango and comes back in and says you have a problem........(just from walking around it?) He said you are going to need some new ball joints ect. I said and you could tell that how ? well you have alot of bad wear on the passenger tire on the front. I let him Know that we had just had the brake drum replace on the very tire and that is probably where the wear was from. After they put the new tires on they handed me an estimate for $750.00 and said that I needed new ball joints, bearings blah blah blah. and that if I were his wife he wouldnt even let me drive it home. I knew enough that he wasnt going to bluff me. told him just to put the tires on and I would take care of the rest. I took it to another shop the next day and the guy told me that I did need a new hub assembly and everything else was fine. We put the part on ourselves and have been fine since. That was several months ago. Anyway just hate to go somewhere without doing some homework first. Thanks for your time.

Old 10-29-2006, 02:02 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The only place there should be any antifreeze on the back is in the middle where the heat controls are for the rear seats. That is even if you have heat back there. A lot of the older D's only have air/fan in the back. If you have a temp switch in the back for heat then there is a line for the antifreeze but only mid section. There shouldn't be any type of antifreeze hose's in the very rear of the D.

Man you got a good head on ya to tell those #$@%&^# at the shop off![:'(]

Old 10-29-2006, 09:36 PM
rayven150

Hey thanks for all your help with this. We started looking at it today and in the very back there is a small compartment above the jack ect. and it appears there is heater core in there for the back heat. We do have heat and air controls for the back, it is wet in there and we are going to look at it better tomorrow
Thanks for all your help.

Quick Reply: antifreeze leak