1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Maybe first car a Durango...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 03:39 AM
daei
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maybe first car a Durango...

Hi there,

I've been a fan of the first generation Dodge Durango since its introduction back in 98.

I haven't collected ANY money yet for my first car, but I was just thinking about it. Do you guys think a 2001 (Because I like the change in style of the rims introduced in 2001) Durango SLT/SLT + 2WD V6 (What is fuel consumption for V6?) will be good for a 19 yr old? I do not commute too much...Just around in town, perhaps to college and I will probably take it in some off road areas SOMETIMES. My concerns-And yes, I know this is the deal with most/all SUVs-are fuel economy, price, visibility (I'm 5'11 and I want to know if I will see comfortably in front and rear) and how long it would last or how much maintenance it would need. I have also thought about a Ford Ranger or Nissan Frontier...My dad says perhaps the Frontier is better because, depending on the model, it's better on fuel and lasts longer. Guys, I would really appreciate your opinions and advice on my situation...Add anything you think is needed.

Thanks,

Daei.

Old 10-25-2006, 03:30 PM
deerang
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Maybe first car a Durango...

The V-6 was dropped for the 2000 model. The smallest engine is the 4.7L V8. I'm 5'9 and I don't have any trouble with visibility forward or out the back. Fuel economy in the city is nothing to brag about, i get about 17L/100km, but I am usually driving 15km/h over the limit. Not hard off the line, but "technically speeding".

I've taken my D off-roading twice. Pros. 4x4 Low works amazing when really stuck, 2wd is great for shooting some mud. Cons. the D is big and manuvering in tight places is not easy, ABS is a pain in the ***. If I had better front tires I would have been able to get up some steeper inclines.

Old 10-26-2006, 12:57 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: Maybe first car a Durango...

They are awesome rides. Great for a early driver. But I will recomend the 5.9L and you'll be very happy. Although gas is expensive any SUV you are going to pay out. Better to get something with more power so the engine dosen't have to work as hard.

Quick Reply: Maybe first car a Durango...