Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Problem with my tranny

Great info hydrashocker.

Old 10-30-2006, 02:16 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I just called the AAMCO and he fought me on the oversized torque converter saying that he won't give me any warranty on the rebuild if I have him put anything aftermarket (not approved by his shop) in. [:@]

Old 10-30-2006, 03:11 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts

with the luck your having on this, stay between the lines and stick with whatever he gives you as long as he backs it up.

Old 10-30-2006, 08:38 PM
Mean Green
Champion

Pretty much my thoughts Steve. The radiator is gonna cost me $500 and 2 hours of shop time is gonna be $140 he gave me a break on the radiator it was supposed to be $632 but I explained to him that if I did that I'd be out of gas before I got home. I really wish I could have done the radiator myself but when I get there I have to book it home to make an interview on the 9th. I'm trying to get my warranty company to cover the radiator but I doubt they will since it isn't an internal problem but they may since the torque converter is what plugged up the radiator in the first place.

Old 10-31-2006, 02:31 PM
Mean Green
Champion

Well I spoke to Joe at AAMCO today and he told me that my warranty company may cover this radiator since it was the torque converter that screwed up my radiator. Now that I think about it though even if they don't cover it it was AAMCO's torque converter that messed up my radiator in the first place right? So it should be covered by them no matter what.

Old 10-31-2006, 03:15 PM
durango360
Rookie

What tranny is this? I am about to take my Durango (2000, 5.9, 4X4) to a shop to have it overhauled. My problem was the governor solenoid. The day before I was going to drop the pan and replace it, the tranny started slipping terribly and would not go into 2nd gear. Before this it would slip a little when down shifting on the highway, but not too much. The fluid turned almost black over the last two days. After dropping the pan, I replaced the filter and gov. solenoid and after looking at all the metal shavings on the magnet, I saw part of the 2nd gear band adjuster laying in the bottom of the pan. Now I am hoping to get a good solid overhaul and get some improved performance out of the tranny. Any suggestions out there as to a good kit ( that the local shops might install )? Torque converter suggestions? I read all the replies above this and will take alot of that with me in my search for a good rebuild. Is the myth about adding additional clutches good for this tranny also? I would love to get a good firm shift from every gear to the next..( 1 to 2, 2 to 3). Thanks guys...

Old 10-31-2006, 03:21 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

welcome to DF...

www.apsprecision.com has built many tranny's and has all the parts you should need for a good solid rebuild.

Old 10-31-2006, 03:50 PM
durango360
Rookie

Thanks Steve, I am sure many of you will see more of me here in the future and also in the Ramcharger section....

Old 10-31-2006, 04:30 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

glad to have you aboard..post some pics of your rides when you get time.

Old 10-31-2006, 04:36 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

OK. Get a torque converter from AMMCO just ask him to upgrade consitering you had problems with the last one. I HOPE you can get an upgraded one and bigger at that. It was their torque converter that plugged the radiator but the radiator is not brand new. So they wil push it onto the warranty Co. They don't want to pay for a radiator if they can make someone else pay for it. IT IS A GREAT IDEA TO HAVE AMMCO PUT A INLINE FILTER INTO THE TRANY LINES! This will help this problem from ever occuring again.

Not to mention it only gives you better protection. Have them put one into the return line. It has a magnet and a filter built inside. Just replace it every year I will atach some info. Something like this:

http://info.rockauto.com/ATP/Detail.html?magfltr.gif

durango360

Depending on what trans you have the are some good builders out there. Dan at www.thefastman.com can help you out or another repitable company. Try to go to someware that they do custom work. Have a custom valve body trown in and tweak that baby out.

Quick Reply: Problem with my tranny