1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Heater not heating problem.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 11:28 PM
Delbert
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater not heating problem.

got a problem i'm trying to figure out..

the heater in my 98 durango isn't putting out heat..

heres the facts.

the engine temps are running fine when its warmed up the engine is at about 160 to 180 on the temp gauge.

I just changed the thermostat so thats brand new.

after the engine is warmed up and I turn on the heater I get warm air for about 2 seconds. then it goes cold.

There are two heater hoses one from the block to the firewall and the other from the water pump to the firewalll

The heater hose from the block gets hot to the touch.. but the heater hose that connects to the water pump gets a little warm but not hot.

I am leaning towards trying new hoses in case its a collaped hose but thought I'd post here to see if anyone has any other ideas on what it could be..

thanks

Delbert

Old 11-05-2006, 01:55 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Heater not heating problem.

it sounds like your heater core is clogged. take off both hoses goin to your heater core, and do a reverse flush. just stick the hose on the return line and see if any debris comes out. then hook it back up, add coolant and see if you get heat.
________
Jailbroken

Last edited by jonnymagnum; 05-08-2011 at 03:37 AM.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:05 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The heater core is plugged. Take off both hose's from the fire wall. Take an old garden hose and cut off the end and place it on the heater core (the side that goes to the engine not the one that goes to the water pump) and turn the hose on full. Remember to place a clamp around the hose to keep it from flying off! Then place it on the other one and do the same. Back and forth approx. 2-3 times and re hook your heater hoses back up. Place them back in the right order. Check coolant level and you are set.

Old 11-24-2006, 07:35 PM
Delbert
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the info guys.. I finally got time to get around and flush the heater core.. It was clogged up got black fluid and gunk out of it when it broke free.. The heater is now working great.. once again thanks for the info.. btw the garden hose worked perfectly...

Delbert

Quick Reply: Heater not heating problem.