1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Brake Lights on???

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 07:51 PM
Yoeddy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Lights on???

So I have an 02 Durango. Just got home and noticed that my tail lights are stuck on...including the one on the rear window. I have everything off. Any ideas what could be causing this or what can I do to get it to turn off. I don't want a dead battery.

Thanks!

Old 11-05-2006, 08:55 PM
GhostRider3387
Rookie
Default RE: Brake Lights on???

Looks like the brake light switch is bad. The switch is located under the dash on the steering column, if you press the brake pedal down by hand you should see the switch. Its not hard to change out and you should be able to pick up the switch at a local parts store.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:16 AM
MAGIC84
All Star
Default RE: Brake Lights on???

This may be a isolated event, but some of this story may be releveant. I had a 98 Cherokee (Classic not Grand) and for some reason for about the first couple of months the cruise kept cutting out, or would not engage at all. I took it back to the dealer approx three times, finally on the last call, the brake light switch was replaced. Apparentlyhere was the culprit, and it is not as far fetched as it sounds. I have a AUTOLOCK, (basically a club but goes between the floorboard and brake pedal to prevent the brake pedal from being depressed, preventing the transmssion from being released, ergo, preventing theft. The club slides over the brake pedal shaft, based along the floorboard/firewall and slides against the pedal. The collar was being pulled too far against the brake pedal, and basically over centering the brake light switch just far enough to do the following.

1. Far enough back to make the cruise control circuit think the brake lights were on, so not engaging the cruise control.
2. Not far enough back to activate the brake lights, like I said it was a very narrow range, i would say less than 1/4 inch.

If you are not following me, put your feet against the brake pedal, from the floorboard side and pull the pedal back towards the drivers seat, there is a little play, but it could be just enough as with my case.

I know this may sound like a long winded explaination, and basically the brake light switch may have to have tension adjusted, as with door ajar switches, if you move the switch out there is more room to set the tension pushing spring closer towards the driver.Withthat there is less pedalpressure needed to activate the brake lights.

Hope this helps, good luck!!!

Steve

Your problem may be fixed by now, but if not or it relapses, and dealer maintenance department is not able to duplicate, this might be a reasonable starting point.

Quick Reply: Brake Lights on???