Shelby SP360 Durango need help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 07:55 PM
Mike954
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shelby SP360 Durango need help!

I recently aquired a 99 Shelby Durango.

The car only has 22000 miles on it but it has had extensive engine and supercharger upgrades. I am still going over the paperwork trying to figure out what exaclty has een done, but what I can tell the engine (which is originally a 5.9L w/ a Kenne Bell supercharger) has been bored out -don't know how much- aluminum mopar heads- what kind don't know yet, upgraded lifters, heads and block have been o-ringed, heads have been ported, and the engine has been balanced. A Procharger supercharger w/ intercooler has been added and the old Kenne Bell has been removed. I have documentation of all of this work but I have no idea of how well the engine has been tuned.

Me being a man that knows more about foreign cars I cannot tell if any work has been done to the computer and there is not any type of piggy back unit. I also do not know if the injectors have been changed from the original ones.

If there is anyone who knows Shelby Durango's or knows how to look for ECM upgrades and injector upgrades please let me know. I am also interested to find out what kind of injectors where used on the stock Shelby Durango's.

I will add to this post with more detail and a complete list of what is done do the car that I know about.

I will add pictures too. Since this is my first post here i didn't want it to be too long.

Old 11-29-2006, 03:27 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Shelby SP360 Durango need help!

As collector vehicles, Shelby Durangos are getting around $20,000+ in great condition. Your mileage is certainly very good for the '99 Shelby Durango. Conversely, '99 SLT+ or R/T perfect Durangos might get $3000-$7000 with that kind of mileage.

So.... the question most real Durango owner/enthusiasts will ask is how much did you pay and WHY ON EARTH did they ruin the Shelby with aftermarket items and re-bore, etc 'extensive' modifications on the motor?! Regardless of how nice all of the mods turned out, it is still simply a mod now and no longer a stock collectors item. Collector pricing is out the window and it is worth only whatever perceived value one can get from a buyer. Plus to hear that you don't have all of the stats, info on what was done, etc just makes me wonder... because I have seen this before... is it really a Shelby D or '99 Durango spruced up to look like a Shelby D? If so, it wouldn't be the first one sold as something that it isn't. I have seen faked vehicles talked up in forums ad nauseum and then mysteriously "unfortunately I need to sell my great vehicle" by the same person who had just said it was the best thing they ever had and they would never get rid of it. Someone sells, someone buys, someone is happy and someone gets burned.

I am not trying to flame you or anything like that so please don't take it wrong. Hell, as much as I really LOVE my 2000 SLT+ Durango, I'd trade it in a second for a Shelby D with no miles on it like yours! I have a 'fast as lightning', not stock now , factory freak that has been exceptional for all 166,000+ miles on her so far. Take a look at my picture album for photos. In fact, I just visited the Durango assembly plant last month. That is the location where every Durango ever made was assembled. It is in Newark Delaware and I drove 13 hours each way just to take the trip through the plant. I considered it my Durango's Mecca and trip back to it's creator (I know, sounds stupid.) As a real Durango enthusiasts who talks with others nearly every day, we have seen very nice and very close to the real thing, faked Shelby's out there. I recall picking one apart sticker by dash, by seat, by mod by mod, etc until we were certain that it wasn't a real Shelby. It looked great, but wasn't a real Shelby D. I hope yours isn't one of those.

I for one wish you the very best with it and here is to hearing back that you got a rocketship of a ride for a nice price. I also look forward to seeing your pictures posted and more info from you on it.

IndyDurango

Old 11-29-2006, 02:19 PM
Mike954
Rookie

I am 100% positive this is a Shelby original. I got the car from my sister in law whose ex husband bought it new. It is number 37 of 300.

He was apparently not concerned w/ keeping it as a collectors item. Which I understand because ohter than the Viper's other Shelby Dodges do not hold their value.

Also, considering that the car was rated at 360hp from the factory (probably crank HP) he was not happy with its performance. I have a dyno slip from 4 years ago after all the work he did was complete with rear wheel hp at 414 @4800rpm and torque at 442 @ 5600rpm.

From what paperwork I have the list of modifications he did include:
ProCharger Model #p600b w/ intercooler
JE Pistons (size unknown)
Speed Pro Rings
Aluminum Mopar Heads (type unkown)
Rocker Arms (lift and duration unkown)
Comp Cam
Mopar Intake(type unkown)
Ported heads and intake
Trio Lifters?
Balanced and Bored engine
High flow Oil pump
2800 Stall Convertor

This is all off an invoice that was inside the car when I got it. totaling over 10,000 dollars and not including the supercharger.

Again the reason I need help is I know very little about performance V8's and I can find little information concerning the exact modifications done to Original Shelby Durango's

Right now the car runs fine but it is definately lacking the feel of the power I know it has. I am trying to figuer out if it is directly a tuning problem or a transmision problem. WHen you get on it it does not seem to tranfer at all like it shoud to the wheels.

I also need help with my injectors, the part number on the injectors is #53030778. Am I correct in saying that these are close to #19,@ 23lb/hr.

[IMG]local://upfiles/49895/CA7AC9FE4015486AAB7080982011AAF3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-29-2006, 10:34 PM
tattoohead
Professional

Here's one 4 sale for $31,500 ... ::: http://www.cars-on-line.com/16042.html :::

Old 12-01-2006, 12:48 AM
HeavyD
Professional

Most likely the engine was upgraded due to a lot of motor failure with the stock 360 with kennybell blowers. I know I read of at least of 5 motor failure on the stock motor, I can say I did a top end and cam change out and my bottom end went out in less than a thousand miles. The rings failed on my motor and that was the feed back I have read on the shelby 360. have heard the shelby was made with the kennybell blower when made on the east coast and they had the prochargers when built for the west coast builders. I know there was 2 builders of the shelby and here of 4 motor failures with the kenybell. I can't remmeber all the post about them since it was long ago. but you might be albe to find something about it. I know that Star Coach made the east coast shelby's that was having all the motor problems with thier blower set up.

Old 12-01-2006, 01:13 PM
Mike954
Rookie

Well I put the Shelby on the lift yesterday.

First off I am not making any boost due to the fact that someone has taken off the Blowoff valve. There is now a 2 inch outlet for air to pass right on out. The odd thing is it will still make about four pound of boost even w/ the hole!

I did a compresaion check and compression is very low so I guess whatever type of pistons they put in are either 8:1 or 8.5:1 which is good news. Snce their is no boost, low comp. pistons,a hot cam (still don't know exact lift or duration) and a stall convertor hopefully this is the reason their is absolutely no power and not the transmision problem I was told it had.

Does anyone nknow of a good blowoff valve? and a good air fuel ratio programmer for the computer, and do they make them?

Quick Reply: Shelby SP360 Durango need help!