1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2000 Durango - Wiper fluid not pumping

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 08:30 PM
stever7804
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Durango - Wiper fluid not pumping

I have a 2000 Durango (SLT).About a month ago the front wiper fluid stopped pumping. When I went to refill the reservoir, I realized it was nearly full. The wipers work fine and the rear fluid is working just fine. Is this most likely a motor, fuse, or other problem?

-Steve

Old 01-10-2007, 11:13 PM
deerang
All Star
Default RE: 2000 Durango - Wiper fluid not pumping

You will need help from another person for this. With somebody inside the D, get them to spray the windshield, while you stand close to the resevoir. Listen for the whine of the pump, its quiet but distinct. This would actually be a lot easier with the D not running, but off the top of my head I'm not sure if the pump will go without it running. If the D has to be running, wait till the fan clutch disengages, and it will be a lot easier to hear the pump.

If the pump isnt going off, its either a fuse or relay (im not sure if there is a relay, im not too familiar with the electricals)

If the pump is going, it is probably just a clogged jet or hose. easier to check the jet than the hose.
separate the hose from the T splitter on the jet side, and connect it to a syringe filled with water. Use quite a bit of pressure to try to force whatever contaminate is in there out. You'll know its out when water starts shooting out the jet (obviosly).

Use the same method to check the hose for a clog.

This may seem like a dumb question, but is it posible the bottom of the tank has frozen?

Old 01-11-2007, 08:25 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced one myself... It is a very simple swap but in NY it is a dealer only part and is $75... [:@]

Just follow Deerangs advice first though...

Old 01-11-2007, 12:26 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

If I remember correctly the washer pump is a electric not pneumatic. Try it with electrical power applied, doors closed, seatbelt light out. windows down no outside ambient noise. You shouldnt have to start the vehicle since I am about 99% sure that it is a electrical driven pump, unlike the fan/power steering etc which are engine driven pumps. Hope this helps.

Old 01-11-2007, 01:18 PM
deerang
All Star

i thot the pump would go off without the engine running, but i was so torn between the two choices i played it safe. I wouldnt want to tell him to do it wihout the engine running when it needs to be. Then he definately wouldnt hear it going hahaha

Old 01-11-2007, 02:22 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah it is electric.

Quick Reply: 2000 Durango - Wiper fluid not pumping