Turn Signal problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 01:54 AM
cesspool
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn Signal problems

99 Durango, 360, 4x4

My turn signals quit completely. No sound or lights. Flashers work fine. I bought the entire Multi-function switch and will be replacing it. I was reading my haynes manual though and it said something about a combination flasher unit in the fuse block area on the driver side . Only $12, and much easier (if that was it) so I got one. I went to replace it and found I didn't even have one in there. is this normal? I don't have the headlight relay just above it either, once again, normal? I doubt it was ever there because for a while the signals worked off and on. I tried it anyway with no luck....

So I'm off the replace the whole switch next. If that doesn't work where should I look next. Where might I look for a loose wire at? the fuses are fine too.

https://dodgeforum.com/m_279070/tm.htm

this thread talks about the problem. Post 7 says something about hitch wiring. i use my hitch. where would this cause a short at? he said something about disconnecting behind the taillight, but I need my hitch wiring.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. But the missing Flasher relay has me stumped...

Old 01-24-2007, 02:39 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Turn Signal problems

I believe the D switched to the combination flasher in 00' I am pretty sure you have separate flashers for the hazards and blinkers. If I'm wrong do you have an aftermarket alarm in your D? Because I was supposed to have the combo flasher too but it was removed with the alarm install I guess, and I have to use a regular flaher (can't remember which one) and I have not had hazards since I bought the D because I cannot find the flasher or it was never installed...

On a side note I wouldn't install the multifunction switch just yet I highly doubt it's the problem and you should get your $ back.

Old 01-24-2007, 10:43 AM
cesspool
Professional

The only alarm I have is the one that came from the factory. Where are the seperate flashers located? I only paid $30 for the switch, I'm not that worried about the money.

Old 01-24-2007, 02:29 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

Sounds like a turn signal relay. If you are not hearing the "tick" of the turn signals as they come on and go off, this means that the turn signal relay is bad. It should be located on the drivers side under the dash, near the E-Brake.

Old 01-24-2007, 05:09 PM
cesspool
Professional

Could someone tell me where at under the dash? What it looks like? Does it look anything like the combo flasher unit?

Old 01-24-2007, 05:10 PM
cesspool
Professional

Hell i I guess I could just buy it at autozone and then look for it that way...

Old 01-24-2007, 08:10 PM
cesspool
Professional

Ok, what does this relay look like? The only thing they could find at autozone was the flasher relay. The 5 prong cube that fits in the side of the fuse block. Under the dash the only thing I saw was a small rectangle relay in a yellow block with 2 fuses as well.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:33 PM
cesspool
Professional

ok I found it problem fixed. Only 9 YES 9 bleeding cuts on my hand! That sonavbitch is clear at the top of the block withno visibilty if your hand is in there, and almost perfectly camo'd when your hand is not in there...

...I would of rather changed the entire turn signal switch, it would of been easier.

Old 01-24-2007, 08:33 PM
cesspool
Professional

Oh, and Thanks Guys!

Old 01-25-2007, 03:37 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah It took me a few minutes to find where mine went only to find that it had been taken out with the aftermarket alarm. Needles to say I wasn't too happy out in NY it was a dealer only part for 40-45 bux.[:'(]

Quick Reply: Turn Signal problems