1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2000 Durango Extended Warranty Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 09:53 PM
seanlanktree
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Durango Extended Warranty Advice

hello - I am purchasing a 2000 5.9L Durango with 66000K from Texas. I have been offered an 4 year/48K extended warranty through a company called Wynns for about $1600. I am confused on whether I should go with one or not. I have heard several extended warranty horror stories in the past. Does anybody have any opinions on this?? Are extended warranties really a good level of security or do they usually end up not covering anything? In addition, would you recommend the warranty based on what you know about this car.. such as problems that I will probably be encountering mechanically. Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks, Sean

Old 08-14-2004, 10:41 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Default RE: 2000 Durango Extended Warranty Advice

You need to read the offer VERY carefully. Several times. Have a lawyer read it as well if possible. Many of these "aftermarket" warranty companies are "fly-by-night" operations. Get names/phone #'s of others who have the coverage. Call your local BBB. Check the internet for the company website....they should have one.

At 66K miles, your vehicle is going to have a few things go wrong with it. "Wear items" like brakes, tires, belts, hoses, etc. are going to have to be replaced. Do they cover that? Compare the cost of the coverage versus the expected cost of maintenance over the period of time you expect to own it.....

Old 08-15-2004, 01:16 AM
Intrepidacious

If you really want full coverage, look for a 'by exclusion' warranty, where everything is covered except what's in a list of exclusions (which would include belts, brake rotors and drums and pads, etc.).

Most warranties are not that type -- they list the parts they will cover and leave you to handle the rest, or to wonder if the repair your car needs will be a covered part or not.

I had two vehicles warranted with WarrantyGold -- they have fantastic warranties but the insurance company they used to use went bankrupt, leaving 75,000 contracts in the dust. Fortunately both of my vehicles had already gotten their money's worth (in AC evaporator jobs, etc.) so it wasn't so bad for me, though I lost a couple or more years of additional coverage that I would have had.

They offer a 'by exclusion' warranty (their Diamond plans) on new and used cars and have a new A+ rated insurance company backing all new contracts since July 2003. Assuming the new insurance company is good, then I highly recommend WG warranties. The price is really low and coverage on those Diamond plans is terrific, and they pay the mechanic directly over the phone via corporate visa/mc/amex, so you don't pay a dime except whatever deductibe you have. I even got zero deductible for only $100 more on each plan. The prices on my two vehicles was $1100-1500 for 5 year/100k miles full coverage warranty, and they'll split it up into payments if you want. The exclusion list was a very short paragraph of normal reasonable items like belts, paint, body panels, upholstery, etc. -- things that are either normal maintenance items or things that don't go bad.

Anyway if I went with another company I'd sure look for that kind of warranty again -- sure gives peace of mind.

Old 08-15-2004, 02:25 AM
JDELUNA

Go here and research Wynn to see what kind of complaints, etc. they have:
Warranty Reviews

Quick Reply: 2000 Durango Extended Warranty Advice