1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

99 D battery going dead

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 02:29 PM
kay1330
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 D battery going dead

My 99 D battery keeps going dead, new battery, new belt, checked pulleys moving freely. Got very cold here, but the 94 toyota started no problem. The D has just started doing this within the last 2 weeks, when shes running the gauges all read normal, the battery is getting charged when I drive it. I let it sit for a whole day now won't start...
Any ideas would be very appreciated.

Old 02-05-2007, 02:12 PM
kjun
Professional
Default RE: 99 D battery going dead

Sounds like something ishot providing a slow drain. Check all of the obvious things that don't require ignition to be powered. To give you and idea, things I've seen run down the battery are:

Radioleft on(if able to turn on without ignition)
Courtesy/dome and headlights left on
Hood lights (I've seen mis adjusted hoods allow light to stay on)
Door locks (had a short where the lock switchkept cycling and ran down the battery)

Old 02-06-2007, 06:31 PM
kay1330
Rookie

Thanks for the suggestions, we have checked out these things and other easy to check things that could be draining battery, but still have not found the problem. For now I am disconnecting the battery every night when it has a full charge and then reconnecting in the morning, but at 0 degrees and less that is getting to be a real pain in the butt.
If anyone had this issue and solved it Please let us know.

Old 02-20-2007, 12:42 AM
joey_86405

About 2 mos ago, I left my vehicle all day and came out to find the batt dead. AutoZone said good batt, recharged, OK for about two weeks. Left the vehicle set all day and came out to find the batt dead. On Sat, I pulled the vehicle into the garage and was going to look for drains. I just happened to put the park brake on. Before getting out, I noticed the Brake light was really dim. The key was in my hand. Then I noticed the gauges were starting up, moving up the scale slightly and dropping off. Obviously a drain was taking place. I started popping fuses and when I got to the a/c-heater blower, it stopped, brake light went out. What it boils down to is that on those two days, it was slightly cold when I got in the vehicle and I turned the a/c-heater switch to the off condition. With the switch in the off condition, the batt is being drained(somehow,) with it in the on position, I am not having any problems. I have had some other problems with the door locks/fob not working right. With the switch in the on position, I have not had any of these problems continue.

Now try explaining that to your local mechanic.

Old 02-20-2007, 12:41 PM
89Daytona
Veteran

You might want to keep an eye on the rear window wiper, that can get shorted (move on its own after the car is off)and cause a battery drain and other weird problems.

Old 02-20-2007, 12:48 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Each day pull a fuse until you find which one is supplying the drain and go from there.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:19 AM
leonardo

my 98 was doing the same. Turned out I just had to replace the terminals. The others were corroded and it wasn't charging the battery properly, even if it showed like it was charging while driving.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:19 PM
Mike954
Rookie

Your not leaving something plugged in like a phone charger to the power outlet next to the lighter are you? they have a constant supply and will drain the battery if a phone charger iss left plugged in, even if a phone is not plugged in.

Quick Reply: 99 D battery going dead