1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 02:54 PM
DurangoDanger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gas mileage?

I get 14 mpg all the time. But do not switch in a 180 thermostat if you live anywhere cold. I did. And now, not only is my AC busted, but my heater never EVER gets above luke warm. But, the 180 helps keep it from overheating in the summer, and, hypothetically, it could even worsen your gas mileage, but I haven't noticed that. But, because the engine is running cooler, it could lead it to burn richer. Again, I don't have that problem, but it could happen.

-T Hitt

Old 02-09-2007, 02:56 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Durango you may want to flush the heater core. Check the announcements at the top of the page.

Old 02-10-2007, 02:30 PM
Chitown Kracker

ORIGINAL: deerang

What parts did you order?

Best of luck on a speedy recovery.
I ordered all MOPAR tune up parts. I am also going to order a K&N filter kit for it, and put duel exhaust on it. This will all happen in a fer months, I just had my back surgery yesterday.........SUCKS being down like this.

Thanks,

Chitown

I also have some Craftsman tools for sale.........................https://dodgeforum.com/m_699853/tm.htm

Old 02-10-2007, 11:56 PM
Last Of The R/Ts
Record Breaker

Wow, I remember when I first brought my Durango home and I was posting this exact same issue in DF. It's just amazing how many times this same issue is raised time and time again. I still say they should sit each potential Durango buyer down in front of a gas pump and drop a sledgehammer on his ********* just so we will know what it feels like when we fill up.

What makes it worse is that I knew how bad they are on gas but I still wouldn't get rid of my 5.9.....LOL

Old 02-11-2007, 12:49 AM
deerang
All Star

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Great analogy!! Laughed for a good couple minutes there. I complain with my 4.7L, i coulndt imagine a 5.9

Old 02-11-2007, 01:46 AM
Chitown Kracker

Yea, I wanted a Durango no matter what, I did no research. I know I wanted low miles, and no tow bar....did not want a work horse. I found mine 2 years a go w72,000 miles on it, and now has 96,000 miles on it. I know the gas mileage sucks, but I would not part with it for anything. I just wanted to know if there were some tricks to get a couple more miles out of it. As I posted above, I ordered it's first tune up kit from a MOPAR dealer and I'm going to order cold air intake for it. I know it will run a lot better, even if I still only get 12/14 mpg.

Thank you all for the comments..... it nice to see people answer old questions from new members.

Rock on,

chitown

Old 02-11-2007, 05:18 AM
Mean Green
Champion

Yeah we don't get too upset about answering old questions (they are great for post ****** like me LOL).

Old 02-11-2007, 05:26 AM
ganzhimself
Professional

Just got back from a nice long highway trip with a bit of city driving included, hit a whopping 15 MPG, 20 gals over 300 miles.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:10 AM
found_fish

I have heard a lot of comments regarding the poor gas mileage on the Durangos. I've been working on getting a 03 SLT+, and it arrived in town today... As I am out test driving it, I thought I'd run it home and see what my wife thought of it... I'm not sure if this is a sign from a higher being, the D-Gods, but just as I turned onto my street, the low fuel indicator light came on. Is this a sign or what!!! haha...

I'm going back in on Monday and signing the papers. I love the truck!! Best ride I have ever had!

Old 02-11-2007, 10:10 AM
Mean Green
Champion

The bass turds at the dealership that I bought mine from screwed me on a free tank of gas and left me with a little over an 1/8th of a tank. When I told them to fill it up they said they couldn't do that even though it was previously discussed. The D is my 2nd vehicle and I bought my first from a private seller so I didn't think to make sure they filled it up before I signed the papers. Oh well you live and learn all I can say is make them fill er' up before signing.

Quick Reply: Gas mileage?