1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 10:43 AM
MAGIC84
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gas mileage?

Mean, I know what you mean. I got mine, had it filled up on the way to the dealer. Truth is I wasn't even looking for a D when I originally went in, it just sort of found me. I didnt even ask, the just filled it up and who was I to argue. right? As for long term use, I get a bit nervous at about 200 miles, since most of my home-work-home mileage is city. I could probably stretch it outto about 250 on Highway, but watch carefully. These figures are based on 12 MPG, and allowing a little play to avoid running out. BASS-TURDS I like it that is rich!!

Old 02-11-2007, 12:09 PM
Chitown Kracker

I did get a "free" fill up when I bought mine. Well they said "free" I am sure I paid for it some where in the paper work! My dad own a few dealer ships on Western ave. in Chicago back in the day. He said he topped off every car he sold....it was never extra.

chitown[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 02-12-2007, 07:47 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Magic, a little FYI we have a 5 gallon reserve in these things so they will go for a while after you run out of gas according to the gauge. Do I ever push it? Hardly, when I'm at 1/8 of a tank I will usually fill it up. It's weird even though I know I have it it all I can do is look at the gas gauge and drive like a granny when I'm on E. [8D]

Old 02-12-2007, 12:55 PM
Chitown Kracker

Just a little info about running low on fuel..............

I was told that running low on fuel is NOT good for the electric fuel pump motor. I was told this years ago, and just never run below a 1/4 tank. I have never had a fuel pump go bad in any of my cars.......could this be that I never run below a 1/4 tank?

chitown[sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 02-12-2007, 01:41 PM
Mean Green
Champion

Eh I've just heard don't run out. I understand that the gas keeps the pump from burning up by acting as coolant. But I'm sure that isn't a bad isea it definitely doesn't hurt to fill up at a 1/4 tank (unless you're broke till payday like me )

Old 02-12-2007, 02:03 PM
Chitown Kracker

I know what you mean about the money part...............

I also use LUCAS fuel treatment at each fill up. My wife likes to run the fuel down and I feel this will help.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:08 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sometimes I wonder about that 5 gallon reserve? I had my needle sitting directly on E and when I filled it up and topped it off, I got like 17-18 gallons? If so, that leaves almost around 7-8 gallons in reserve?

Old 02-12-2007, 02:17 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also, some things to know about Durangos that affect gas mileage. And that is the gear ratios. Durangos have too many flavors of gear ratios which depends on the outfit you choose on the Durango. I have a buddy with a regular 2WD 4.7l without tow package and his gear ratio is something like 3:42 or 3:55. Whatever the lowest gear ratio is for his D. His D is strictly a highway vehicle and not made to tow anything and his mpg averages around 15 city and 20 highway as he has a light foot and everything on the engine/tranny is well maintained and stock. He did however replaced the paper air filter with a K&N filter which gave him another 1 mpg better gas mileage.

As discussed many previous times also, you will have to calculate the costs of all your proposed mods, over the cost of fuel savings. From what users in this forum experienced, it is not much. Users basically paid the mods purely for performance and the teeny weeny fuel savings is just a added bonus unless you have a lead foot.

I am lucky that my 5.9 R/T can hold up at 12City / 14Hwy as I have full time 4WD and 3:92 gear ratio.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:17 PM
Mean Green
Champion

Heck when I do manage to get to E it is always like 20-21 gallons fo me.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:20 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

Amen brother I have heard that too, The fuel does keep the pump from overheating so obviously the more in there the cooler it runs to a certain point. Amen on paycheck-paycheck toobut thats the cross we bear in the Durango club right? I ran out in my Cherokee about 1/2 dozen times since then I have padded my "RESERVE" a little bit, especially on the D. Call me crazy but I trust those overhead fuel computations about as far as I can throw em. Manual says 25 Gal tank but the most I have ever been able to fill up (to the top of the filler neck) is a touch over 20.0.

Quick Reply: Gas mileage?