1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Speaker size in doors ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 10:11 AM
moparnopar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker size in doors ??

Dudes,

Speakers have been "farting" [:@]for awhile when there is bass... samething happened on my ZJ (Jeep) this summer and replaced the speakers. I was wondering if anyone new the size of the speakers in the front and rear doors before I removed everything ... so I can shop around for them and have them at home already before dismantling everything ...

Thanks
R/T

Old 02-10-2007, 08:38 PM
PandorianOne
Default RE: Speaker size in doors ??

Hey, my first post is to get to help someone out! I've lurked for 2 months so I guess it's time for me to pass on the good Karma...

Assuming you are posting in the correct place, you have 6.5's in all 4 locations. If you have the infinity system, you also have 2 tweeters high in the front door, and two-way 6.5's in the back. More than likely, it's just the foam going bad, not unusual on these OEM speakers. You have two choices.

1. Replace the stock with aftermarket, if you have infinity, you probably want to stick with that. People here have sucessfully installed a couple of models; (from older/lower power to higher power); 6002's, 6012i's; 6012si's, Kappa 62.7i's. Do yourself a favor and order a set of adapters from http://www.mjmautoinnovations.com/sakc65t65.htm they will save you alot of time, as the standard mounts on the aftermarkets don't quite line up. Or, it's been said that Crutchfield sends the adapter along with the order, but they're more expensive than E-bay

2. Repair the foam. You can buy a kit here http://www.simplyspeakers.com/ . It's a pretty painless process, I litterally have two of mine on the desk drying as we speak. A 2/10 difficulty (really helps if you use an exacto-knife)

Either way, you are also going to need to get in there to get the originals. This link has a great guide. http://www.craigcentral.com/durango/speakers.asp. They don't show the screw in the doors near the rearview windows, but they are there. You'll need a phillips screwdriver, and about 5 minutes per door to get them out. (While they are out, great time to get the grime out of the ackward places... )

Of course there is always what I did... buy the replacements (6012's), then get curious about whether the repaired original's gave you more bass, and end up going both routes.... If anyone has heard both, how's the bass compare?

**Credit to all those who posted on this before, especially Kensai who is rocking along with his 6012's (which aren't officially supposed to fit)**

Old 02-10-2007, 08:57 PM
Chitown Kracker

Hello!

Well I was going to post the same question, my speakers are also "farting". I like the stock radio because it has tape/CD player, the only thing I don't like is the stick thing for balancing the speakers (might change the radio?). I now know what size speakers to get....THANKS!

Rock on,

chitown[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 02-11-2007, 05:24 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the stick thing I can listen to my music as loud as I want and my kids can watch their movies in the back.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:53 AM
Chitown Kracker

ORIGINAL: Mean Green

I love the stick thing I can listen to my music as loud as I want and my kids can watch their movies in the back.
Mean Green,

How true, the wife and I do the same and 5 minutes later the kids are down!

chitown[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 02-11-2007, 11:46 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: PandorianOne

Of course there is always what I did... buy the replacements (6012's), then get curious about whether the repaired original's gave you more bass, and end up going both routes.... If anyone has heard both, how's the bass compare?
All of the real Infinity aftermarket speakers dislike bass. Time for a subwoofer I'm afraid (me too on my Kappa's). The stockers are Infinity by name only. They are nothing compared to the aftermarket versions. The stocker's cheap paper cones simply come apart around the edges. You can glue it and go on, or replace them with somethign else. I keep with the Infinity's because I didn't want to mess with the amp and head unit just yet. The 2 Ohm originals and aftermarkets match up for the amp.

IndyDurango

Old 02-12-2007, 07:16 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My boys would not go down on the drive from NY to NV (I didn't even make the whole trip with them, AAMCO blew up my tranny) but I'll tell you what I would have gone crazy in 2 hours with them screaming without the DVD player and my Sirius up front. Every time I felt like I couldn't go any further I would switch to blue collar comedy and be LMAO down the freeway.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:59 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: PandorianOne

Hey, my first post is to get to help someone out! I've lurked for 2 months so I guess it's time for me to pass on the good Karma...

Assuming you are posting in the correct place, you have 6.5's in all 4 locations. If you have the infinity system, you also have 2 tweeters high in the front door, and two-way 6.5's in the back. More than likely, it's just the foam going bad, not unusual on these OEM speakers. You have two choices.

1. Replace the stock with aftermarket, if you have infinity, you probably want to stick with that. People here have sucessfully installed a couple of models; (from older/lower power to higher power); 6002's, 6012i's; 6012si's, Kappa 62.7i's. Do yourself a favor and order a set of adapters from http://www.mjmautoinnovations.com/sakc65t65.htm they will save you alot of time, as the standard mounts on the aftermarkets don't quite line up. Or, it's been said that Crutchfield sends the adapter along with the order, but they're more expensive than E-bay

2. Repair the foam. You can buy a kit here http://www.simplyspeakers.com/ . It's a pretty painless process, I litterally have two of mine on the desk drying as we speak. A 2/10 difficulty (really helps if you use an exacto-knife)

Either way, you are also going to need to get in there to get the originals. This link has a great guide. http://www.craigcentral.com/durango/speakers.asp. They don't show the screw in the doors near the rearview windows, but they are there. You'll need a phillips screwdriver, and about 5 minutes per door to get them out. (While they are out, great time to get the grime out of the ackward places... )

**Credit to all those who posted on this before, especially Kensai who is rocking along with his 6012's (which aren't officially supposed to fit)**
I really recommend you guys to purchase the 6.5 adapters from mjmautoinnovations because some of the infinitys that came with the adaptor plate like mine, is made to bolt onto the door frame itself. Going this route will not work as the speaker depth is too deep. (That is why Crutchfield says 6012i's will not fit) but the 6012si's will. (SI is shallow speakers. shorter depth). Plus you won't get the passive reflex bass response either( the OEM spacer provides an inch or two of cyclindrical depth to give better bass response) I listen to the sound with and without oem spacer and the spacer wins on bass response. Mind you, the bass is still not quite as hard as the oem, but it sounds much better with the spacer compared to without the spacer. Bass response was tighter andcrisper with theoem spacer. Also, with the spacer, you can use any 6.5 inch speaker as depth measurement will not be a issue. Using the adapters from mjm to use with the OEM spacer, installation is super easy and keeps all your factory parts in place and do not require any retrofitting whatsoever.

Quick Reply: Speaker size in doors ??