1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

humming noise up front

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 01:09 AM
markmckee73
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default humming noise up front

my 99 D started to have a humming noise coming from the front Right i think. Gets louder the faster you drive "sounds like i got a set of super swampers on it" could it be the cv shaft, or maybe the bearing? Any insight would be helpful...

Thanks![&:]

Old 02-16-2007, 02:15 PM
ganzhimself
Professional
Default RE: humming noise up front

Bearings, ball joints, or tie rods. I had all three go on my 98 at about the same time. Upper and lower ball joints on both sides, both tie rods on driver's side and wheel bearing hub on the passenger side. As of the 19th, I will havedropped$1k fixingthe front end. I'm finally getting the driver's side work done since I have the day off.

Old 02-17-2007, 03:36 PM
Mike954
Rookie

Most likely it is caused by the wheel bearing. It would get louder the faster you went. It could be the CV axle if yours is a 4wd model. It should be louder when in 4wd. Usually when the front CV joint is bad you will notice a noise going over large bumps or when you are making shrp turns, more noticable at slower speeds. It will sound more like a clunking.

If yours is a 2wd model replacing the bearing is a fairly straight forward job, just be carefull not to damage the hub when pressing out hte bearing. The 4wd is a little more dificult because of the axle but again just be carefull of the hb when pulling it off. If you have two pullers it is a little easier. Just use one on each side of the hub.

Old 02-19-2007, 04:19 PM
Chitown Kracker

Hello!

I had noise from the front end. I had to have 2 hub bearingsreplcedand all was good.

Good Luck!

chitown[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 02-20-2007, 01:42 AM
ganzhimself
Professional

Got my D back from the shop today, finally had the rest of the front end work done and now it's much quieter. I had the ball joints and tie rods replaced on the driver's side and now my D is much quieter. Still quite a bit of road noise, but that's courtesy of the tires since the front end has been fully inspected, fixed, and aligned.

Quick Reply: humming noise up front