1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Winter driving on 4wd ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 11:06 AM
stephano
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter driving on 4wd ?

Hi folks

I own a 2k R/T and i wonder if i shoulr drive it either on the 4wd regular mode or the 4 hi lock mode when the road conditions are part snow , part iceand part pavement ? It seems to be easier to loose control on the regular 4wd mode than on the 4 hi lock ! On the reg 4wd the front end seem unpredictable when drifting !

Stephano

Old 02-16-2007, 07:54 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Winter driving on 4wd ?

Stephano:
I think the answer to your question is dependant in part on personal preference as well as mechanical issues.

In the AWD mode, your transer case is behaving like an open differential so that you get the benefit of the 4x4 system while being able to make turns. In4High, that differential component is no longer in the equation and both front and rear driveshafts are locked together giving you better traction.

In my thinking, AWD would be the better choice for on road mild inclement weather where you might still be traveling moderate speeds and need to have maximum steering flexibility and control .

4High would be used where conditions are bad enough that your speeds will be lower and you need maximum traction. My thought here is that driving with both drivshafts locked at anything over say 20-30mph is bound to make your vehicle understeer or go wide in turns because the front wheels will be trying to turn the same speed as the rear wheels and visa versa. This is dangerous for obvious reasons.

If one is driving in an off road scenario where there are no other vehicles to worry about, personal preference could be your guide

Just my 02 cents on your question. I am hoping we will get few more opinions now that I have made the first crack at it.

Don

Quick Reply: Winter driving on 4wd ?