1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Vehicle Speed Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 09:18 PM
rzrbk24
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vehicle Speed Sensor

I've got a code on my '00 Durango, P0720 Output Speed Sendsor Malfunction. After searching the forums I now know where they are located but still have ?s.
1. How do I know which one is bad?
2. What problems does this cause and can I drive on it for a while before I change it?

I don't have any problems with my D except for horrible gas mileage and a little surging here and there. I thought the code would be the O2 sensors but it's not. I'm gonna change those anyway, but should I worry too much about the VSS?

Old 02-20-2007, 12:26 PM
kjun
Professional
Default RE: Vehicle Speed Sensor

P0720 is the sensor on the transmission. It is a different codefor the one on the rearaxle. Don't know about long term problems, but mine drove pretty bad with the surging so I would change it pretty quickly. Its only about a 10 minute job and you can get the sensor for about $20 bucks.

Old 02-20-2007, 12:50 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Also change out the Throttle Position Sensor if the surging continue's.

Old 02-21-2007, 02:00 AM
rzrbk24

kjun, thanks. I went ahead and got the VSS and the O2 sensors. I might as well change those anyway

hydrashocker, thanks for the tip. I'll see if all of this fixes the surging problem before I get a new TPS

Old 02-21-2007, 02:30 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is good practice to replace both the speed andtranny sensors if one of them goes out. These are common items that goes out on Durangos after so many miles. Sometimes the sensor can go bad and not throw a code.

Never seen either of these sensors that can cause surging issues, mainly bring up ABS light on or your speedometer can fluctuate or not work until it goes past 20-30 mph.

Engine RPM surging issues are commonly caused by a faulty TPS. You will notice this when you set your cruise control on and feel the engine want to surge off and on randomly. This sensor is also a cheap and easy to replace sensor that is located on the driver's side throttlebody.

Old 02-21-2007, 05:31 PM
kjun
Professional

ORIGINAL: Kensai

It is good practice to replace both the speed andtranny sensors if one of them goes out. These are common items that goes out on Durangos after so many miles. Sometimes the sensor can go bad and not throw a code.

Never seen either of these sensors that can cause surging issues, mainly bring up ABS light on or your speedometer can fluctuate or not work until it goes past 20-30 mph.

Engine RPM surging issues are commonly caused by a faulty TPS. You will notice this when you set your cruise control on and feel the engine want to surge off and on randomly. This sensor is also a cheap and easy to replace sensor that is located on the driver's side throttlebody.
Could very well be the TPS, but I would almost bet the surging he states is actually erratic shifting caused by the tranny seed sensor (P0720). That is basically what mine did. The engine didn't necessarily surge, it was more of an erratic shift causing the RPM to jump all over the place giving the impression of a surge. Only did it while driving.

Also for what its worth, the tranny speed sensor won't cause an ABS light. I believe that is just the one on the rear axle.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:03 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

yea my dakota did the same thing and threw the same code replaced the speed sensor on the transmission and the problem went away surging and all and in answer to part 2 yes you can drive it like that for as long as you want the transmission just might not shift at the right spot, i know mine didnt want to shift out of 1st until 3k -3500 rpm just my thoughts and experience

Old 02-21-2007, 10:18 PM
rzrbk24

Thanks everybody for all your help. I replaced the VSS on the tranny and the O2 sensors today. I'll see how that works. So far, the check engine light hasn't come back on. If it still surges, I'll replace the TPS. It sounds more like what kjun is talking about though.

Old 02-26-2007, 03:22 AM
kittrini71

I have the same sensor issues with my "D". I have to replace them though since they won't let me pass emissions test. Other than that I have had no dysfunction. My overdrive shifts a little hard on the way down but no other problems. It has been almost a year.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:49 AM
billyanair

I recently had to replace my tps due to rpm surges (seemed like transmission problems, but wasn't). New tps took care of it. Today I pulled the code for the speed sensor and the o2 sensor. The check engine light is on and on one occasion my duragango didn't want to accelerate. I will probably replace the speed sensor first and see if I still have a problem with the o2.

Quick Reply: Vehicle Speed Sensor