1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Illegal Foglights?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 04:53 AM
BLACKonBLACKonBLACK
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Illegal Foglights?????

anyone heard anything about foglights being illegal. Okay well maybe i got a little out of hand with the amount of lights on my truck but hey wouldnt we all love to have the sun on the front of our D's? Well anyway, drivin down the road, minding the speed limit and i get pulled over. The cop proceeds to tell me that i cant have foglights that its illegal. So i said okay sir thanks alot... and turned them back on. But has anyone heard of them not being alowed? I have a brush guard installed and headlight black outs, so my head lights are useless so i put 3 sets of fogs on the brush guard, there a little obnoxious but than again i dont care cuz it aint my eyes getting blinded. Hahah. Well... I realy didnt think it was illegal. Are they illegal or is the cop just a dick?

Old 02-21-2007, 06:16 AM
a4x44ted
Rookie
Default RE: Illegal Foglights?????

You can go online to your states vehicle codes sections of state laws and look up what is allowed by law. Print that out and keep it with you to show someone next time you get pulled over. You might want to check out the law on blackouts a swell. Hope this helps. Ted

Old 02-21-2007, 12:37 PM
ganzhimself
Professional

In many states it's illegal to run just driving lights. You have to have the vehicle's primary headlights on as well. I know here in Wisconsin it's illegal to have your headlights covered with anything, like blackouts, even if they remain functional.

Old 02-21-2007, 02:23 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are probably illegal because they do blind other motorists. Usually off road lights are for on road use. Many states want you to cover them too just so that they're sure you're not uing them anywhere other than offroad.

Old 02-22-2007, 02:44 AM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion

it's illegal here too if you have off roadlights on when your on public roads. it's a $350 fine and 5 points. I learned that the hard way[:@]

Old 02-22-2007, 03:31 AM
found_fish

Hey there.... I was just wondering the same thing over the weekend... Here's what I found for my area; I'm in BC, Canada.

Fog lamps
4.11 (1) A motor vehicle may be equipped with 2 fog lamps, mounted on the front of the vehicle below the headlamps, that are capable of displaying only white or amber light.
(2) Each fog lamp must be
(a)mounted not more than 30 cm below the headlamps, and
(b)adjusted and aimed so that, at a distance of 8 m from the lamp, the centre of the beam is at least 10cm below the height of the fog lamp.
(3) The fog lamp wiring and switch must permit simultaneous operation of the parking lamps, tail lamps, licence plate lamp and, if required, clearance lamps.
(4) The operator of a vehicle may use fog lamps instead of headlamps when atmospheric conditions make the use of headlamps disadvantageous.
[en. B.C. Reg. 476/98, s. 2.]

I was on the local police website and found this quote from one of the officers which I found amusing....

"If you are using your fog lamps along with your headlamps then you are not using the lamps in an authorized manner and you can be charged under the MVR. For some reason using fog lamps in clear conditions is quite trendy right now and the legislation is in place because these lamps can be distracting and hazardous for oncoming drivers. Hope that helps, and let me know if you know why this fog lamp thing is so popular"

Cheers! [/align]

Old 02-22-2007, 12:19 PM
kay1330
Rookie

I use my foglights when there is fog, and I sure hope someday someone with lights just as irritating or more so than yours pisses you off and blinds you. Too bad so many drivers on the road have that attitude of not giving a s**t about the other people on the road. watch out for the cop who already stopped you because if you ignore their warning next time you'll get a ticket. have you ever caused an accident? maybe then your attitude will change, but too late then.[:'(]

Old 02-22-2007, 05:46 PM
willie2124

alright, simmer down now. take and deep breath and hold it....good and release it. Take another deep breath and hold it..................keep holding................keep holding..................................[&:]ok when your face turns blue release.

Old 02-23-2007, 11:49 AM
kay1330
Rookie

You ever been in accident that was some ignorant persons fault? Thru no fault of my own I have been taken out 3 times by IGNORANT people who don't feel the laws are made for them.[:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(]

Old 02-23-2007, 03:20 PM
Mean Green
Champion

The only fog lights I use are my stockers and those are fine because they are aimed pretty much straight at the ground, like they should be. Balck I would suggest getting rid of the blackouts and only using the off road lights off road.

Quick Reply: Illegal Foglights?????