1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Blower Problem - 02 Durango amost burnt today!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 10:59 PM
5crazycats
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blower Problem - 02 Durango amost burnt today!

Hi Everyone.

Yesterday morning it was -22 degrees here inOntario so I went out early to start my 02 Durango and put the heat on high on the defrost setting. I come out fifteen minutes later and open the truck door and a lot of smoke with burnt electrical smell billowing out of the defrost vent on top of the dash. The fan was blowing at the time (I think - I was frantic- maybe it wasn't?).

Now the fan will not start at all via the dash switch.

I took the blower out - still workswhen I connect it to a 12v battery. NO fuseses blew - I checked them all on the side of dash and under hood (both blocks). I lightly stripped the dash to look at all the electrical connections and harness that I could see - to no avail. (Nomelted/burnt areas)

My next step? Remove the dash for a closer examination - ?? You sure gotta remove a lot of parts toget the heater core area..

I have not had to time to read up on other posts forto fix the problem? Can anyone point me to potential problem?

Old 02-28-2007, 02:33 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Blower Problem - 02 Durango amost burnt today!

I haven't heard of any fires in the D's I would just suggest you pull the dash and find the bad wiring and then trace the problem from there.

Old 02-28-2007, 01:53 PM
Mike954
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your blower motor regulator probably burnt up! It is the part that controls how fast your fan motor blows, it varies the actual voltage going to your motor.

I do not know where it is located as I have never had to fool with mine, but usually they are behind the motor or on the control switch.

I hopw this is what your problem is.

Old 02-28-2007, 04:52 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Come to think of it there is a resistor pack that is a common issue that will overheat and go bad and only let you have one speed on the blower. Just look at the top of the page there is a sticky on it. It will take you less than 15 mins. (if it takes you that long to find where it is) and cost $15 or so.

Quick Reply: Blower Problem - 02 Durango amost burnt today!