1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

need some info please

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 06:12 PM
98van
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some info please

hey everyone, my parents are looking in getting a 2001+ dodge durango 4x4 in the next 3 to 4 months. can youall give me some feed back about them? engine reliablity, 4x4 abitity, anything else like that, thanks in advance everyone. what kind of engines do these trucks have? 4.7 or 5.7(9) miles pergallon? thanks

Old 03-03-2007, 12:50 PM
89turbomini
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: need some info please

mines a 2000 4.7 if they or low miles they are ok stay away high mileage 4.7 there are not rebuildable / look for one with new ball joint they seem to go bad alot. the 5.2 and5.9 are good to go . check for rust around all the window trim seem the worst thing up here/ ohio. the fuel pump went out at 200,000 on mine / there are no inline filter? why i don,t know.they all get close to the same mpg 4.7 might be the best at 18 but don,t look to get much more than that.anything ease just ask. alan

Old 03-03-2007, 03:04 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: need some info please

98van:

2001 was a significant year for updates to the Durango. Here is what I recall from the top of my head that made me want an 01 or newer rig:

The interior was updated to include a dash mounted switch to activate the 4wd instead of the floor shifter. The dash, door panels, and rear heat system were also updated and are more ergonomically pleasing IMO.

The standard rim for the D became a 16 inch instead of the 15 inch used on the older D's (except the R/T which was a 17)

The transition of replacing the older 5.2 (318) motor with the newer tech OHC 4.7 (287)motor was complete making the 4.7 and the older 5.9 (360) the only 2 options.

A comment about engine choice:
Since you can't buy a new 01-03 any more, if you find a certain color/equipped D that you like engine choice is not a big factor unless you are going to tow a big load. The smaller 4.7 engine (mine has it) has proven itself quite well and will do just fine for hauling the Durangos 4800 lbs around.
Most folks with the 4.7 motor report seing an extra 1 mpg or maybe 2 during normal non towing highway driving. In the long run though, since you are not going to see great ecomony with any Durango, that is not a major issue.
The point to be made here is that some of the fast driving crowd will poo poo the 4.7 motor saying it is too small. I submit that this is not the case as long as you don't tow often or a big load.

Two other things to mention. The 03 model year added rear disc brakes which I wish my 01 had. Also, the standard ABS system for the gen 1 Durango is RWABS which means rear wheel ABS only. When searching for my 01, many dealers and owners touted that theD they had had the full 4 wheel ABS. Further research indicated this was not true. Full 4wABS was a $500 option that apparently was not popular.

I got such a good deal (IMO) on my D, that I took it with the RWABS thinking I might be able to buy factory parts and add it later, but that turned out to be financially unfeasible.

Don

Quick Reply: need some info please