1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

SEREPNTINE BELT

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 10:28 PM
MAGIC84
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SEREPNTINE BELT

I was in AutoZone the other night checking out serpentine belts. I found a Goodyear Belt that is the ribbed but diagonally more of a notch type, basically the notchs are cut diagonally and spaced out in staggered patterns in each row. Good year calls it a way of keeping the belt quiet by spacing out the contact point dissipating friction and of course heat. HAs anyone seen these belts before? Is this just another marketing plan especially with the NASCAR Logo, or is there something to this that maybe the engineers know something we do? Basically the belts look like little squareson the contact point and every row is staggered so about every five-six rows it begins again.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:21 PM
ganzhimself
Professional
Default RE: SEREPNTINE BELT

Sounds like BS to me, but then again, I'm not an engineer.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:38 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds better than a $50 OEM replacement. [:@]

Old 03-06-2007, 12:45 AM
shnormo
Veteran

It's called a Gator Back Belt. They don't last as long as the factory belts, but there is a life time warrenty on them . I used one on my Explorer and after 20,000 miles got a new one for free.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:37 PM
n8ech
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Magic:
I have the Gatorback on my 01, and also put one on the wifes 97 GCV before we sold it. No complaints so far. I have no knowledge of the lifetime warranty shnormo speaks of. I was always told that belts are a wear item like brake pads and tires. Would be nice to know if this is true?

Old 03-06-2007, 10:38 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

Gatorback, yes that does sound correct, they sound like a good belt, but wanted to get a 2nd, and I guess 3rd and 4th and 5th opinion. Thanks Gentlemen!!!!

Old 03-10-2007, 03:38 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I too run the Gatorback. For my 2000 D with the 5.9L:
Goodyear Gatorback Poly-V Serpentine Belts GTR-4070975 @ $32.99

HTH,

IndyDurango

Old 03-11-2007, 06:01 PM
20durango00
Rookie

I put this belt on our 2000 D, fit and function are excellent!

Old 03-19-2007, 12:12 AM
MAGIC84
All Star

Belt installed today, fit/function excellent, and a lot easier to install then I thought. I tried to shortcut and not remove the coolant/windshield reservoir but no luck. I wish I had the oil change stuff with me because the oil filter is very easily accessable with the reservior tank out of the vehicle. That is more of an FYI if you are scheduling a belt replacement and happen to fit an oil change with the task, clear shot of the oil filter, most likely not even oil filter wrench needed. I am getting off the subject, but sounds like a very good recommendationand belt. I will also advise that if you remove the reserviorsupply lines (Windshield washer/ coolant tubes from the reservoir end there will be a lot of leakage. I recommend removing the lines on the otherend. The coolant tube came off the radiator cap end and not as much leakage but still some.There may be enough leakage to causea low windshield washer fluid light, so don't worry about filling the washer fluid before this task.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:55 PM
MAGIC84
All Star

BELT FAIL After about 3 weeks. Started shredding on the corners after about three weeks, belt cords, showing, and rubber cutting I noticed, Replaced under warranty, I checked all pulleys, tracks, and tension. Looks good, outside chance of a bad tensioner, but doesnt appear so, tension looks good. NO associated warnings, or conditions, like low voltage, improper power steering operation, overheating etc... It ran for about three weeks while in this conditions but replaced today. I am hoping much like the A/Z Manager, that it was just a isolated event such as the randon bad lot of rubber or possibly made by the first shift after a weekend of partying.

Quick Reply: SEREPNTINE BELT