1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

power locks lock and unlock constantly help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 05:03 PM
clajhama
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power locks lock and unlock constantly help!

So I guess I have the common problem of water getting into the locks causing them to lock and unlock on their own. It wasn't bad at first but now happens every half second when I am driving. There is a TSB# for it #0802303. I called a dealership today to see what it would cost to fix and they told me $95 for the diagnostic, $200 in labor and anywhere from $100 to $200 in parts. So I am looking at possibly $500 because a little rain got into the door lock. I guess I have 3 questions.

1. Is there an easier/cheaper fix to this?
2. Will it just happen again when rain gets inthe lock again?
3. Does the price seem fair?

I could use any info anyone has on this or any experience with this problem.

Thanks

Old 03-24-2007, 08:17 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: power locks lock and unlock constantly help!

Usually when the locks start acting up like that it is a bad CTM and if that's the case it would cost you about $500 and is a dealer only fix since they have to program the new CTM. Good luck with this and let us know how it turns out.

Old 03-25-2007, 04:48 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: power locks lock and unlock constantly help!

No No No No No.

That is the correct TSB ( TSB 08-023-03 ) and it calls for under an hour and cheap parts... thus the service is less than $175 with the parts and all. The key is knowing that the book says 9/10th of an hour and not letting the dealing think that they can get one over on you. Here is the entire recap on mine and what it takes to fix it. http://www.durangoclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=15861 In fact, this is the very issue that got me into the online forums in the first place. It was my first post and from that site, it lead me to this site and the rest is history.

Here is the TSB itself: http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2003/08-023-03.htm

The parts as indicated in the TSB were like $18, and $24. I think I needed 2 of the $18 and one of the $24.

The 'quick fix' is to call out the CTM because locks have a relationship to timing (locks autolock at 15MPH). However a failing CTM will cause lots-o-havoc well beyond your locks (interior lights, bells, etc). Problem is, after $400+ you'll still have the issue. Force the issue on the above TSB and you'll be fine.

Side note... since you had the right TSB and they wanted to rape you like that, I would have a long talk with their service manager AFTER I had the service completed elsewhere. That just isn't right.

HEY DAIMLER CHRYSLER!!! Want more revenue and higher sales... start with the inbread crooks in your service departments. Fix it from within and your customers will return. Until then, my 2000 suits me just fine.

Good luck on the fix.

IndyDurango

Quick Reply: power locks lock and unlock constantly help!