1st Gen Intrepid 1993 through 1997 Intrepids

Intrepid problem with stalling

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 07:13 PM
Shuski
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intrepid problem with stalling

Hi, new to the forums, there is a lot of cool stuff here... Well on to the question.......I have 2 Intrepid ES cars a '94 and a 96' and just picked up my first Truck, well tomorrow... 2002 Quad Cab Sport 1500 4x4 with the 5.9L and it has every available option, Cool! I can't wait... However I have a question for anyone out there in Dodge Land.... My '96 ES works fantastic right up until the outside temp gets to 25C and above, then when driven for a while it starts to die and bogs like it is either getting too much gas or not enough. I have to pull off the road, before it dies, leave it sit for anywhere from 5-10 minutes then start it and drive for maybe 5-10 miles before it happens again. After it is completely cool, like the next morning, you can drive until the same variables aries... There is 40-50lb of fuel pressure when idling. I have repleaced all seals / gaskets in the engine. No vacume leaks... Could this be a engine relay?? Can the relays in the box under the hood get old and just wear out / overheat and cause the car to die? Other than that it works awesome! Any help would be great! Thanks!!

Old 09-01-2009, 09:22 PM
004x41500
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

First of all welcome to the site.
And your problem could be the IAT(intake air temp sensor) or the CTS(coolant temp sensor)

Old 09-01-2009, 10:19 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the site,
FF

Old 09-02-2009, 12:46 AM
OklaHemi
Champion

welcome not sure about the problem but some one should good luck and good choice on the ram

Old 09-15-2009, 01:20 PM
Shuski

Originally Posted by 004x41500
First of all welcome to the site.
And your problem could be the IAT(intake air temp sensor) or the CTS(coolant temp sensor)
Hi, thanks for the reply!! I know where CTS is but where is the IAT located?... Also have ben reading the forums other have said the Crank or Cam sensor maybe bad. I believe I got a # 11 code with the onboard diagnostics, I had the belt and water pump replaced a year or so ago, but you think you would get this code all the time even if the vehicle was cold... So I see where you are leaning toward the IAT and the CTS.. but as requested where is the IAT located? Thanks again!

Old 09-15-2009, 01:23 PM
Shuski

huh.. alforget to mention the 96 the one I am having the issues with has the 3.5 L.

Thanks.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:55 PM
1969CoronetR/T
vaffanculo
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I will move this thread to the intrepid section,
FF

Old 09-22-2009, 04:50 PM
Shuski
Default Intrepid problem with stalling

Hello All! Well from talking to one of my well trusted parts guys whom I have been dealing with for more than 20 years and who no mater what vehicle you talk to him about knows absolutly everything about it... He prompted me to replace the Ambient Intake Air Temperature Sensor, from what I understand a commonly overlooked problem but with that being said a very rare problem indeed, he has never steered me wrong or provided a wrong part in over 20 years... Nice track record!! So along with the Ambient Air Intake Sensor I will also replace the Intake Air Sensor which is completely different and in a totally different place on the 3.5L's engine, have not looked on the '93 trep to see if it is in the same place, but I imagine it is.

To remove the old sensor, you willneed a long handled flat screw driver, place inbetween the sensor bracket and the metal on the front bumper, when you see it you will know what I am talking about, with one sharp blow it will break the rivet, punch out the remaining piece of riviet from hole. The hole is just a hair smaller than a 1/4" bolt thread. I used a small screw, washer, lock washer and nut to hold this on. It was a quick and simple replacement, but is a little tight if you have big hands.

Cost: $22.95 CAD - Parts Unlimited talk to Tom, 727 strip mall behind Franklin mall N.E., Calgary Alberta, Canada.
Time to change out: 10 minutes.

I will let you all know how the car performs and hopefully all will be well and this can be of use to someone else. My Parts guy tells me that he has heard from past customers it has made some big improvements on engine performance.

See pics of what and where the Ambient Air Temp Sensor is located, not to be confused with the Air Intake Sensor.

Cheers!

Attached Thumbnails Intrepid problem with stalling-aais.jpg   Intrepid problem with stalling-aais-1-.jpg  
Old 10-12-2009, 05:33 PM
Shuski
Default Intrepid problem with stalling - Ambient and IAT sensors

Hello All, well replaced both the ambient air and IAT sensors, make sure you take in the old IAT with you to the parts store, apparently there is a major difference in thread size from the USA to Canadian models, it will save a trip back to the parts store to get the right one... Anyhow, we will no longer have +25C here for at least 9-10 months... UNGH! WINTER.. So I will let everyone know the findings over the winter and over the next summer. Thanks to all those that replied. Cheers!

Quick Reply: Intrepid problem with stalling