1st Gen Intrepid 1993 through 1997 Intrepids

Wiper only works proper on high

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 12:21 AM
login1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiper only works proper on high

Hello All: My 95 intrepid's wipers started to act up this morning. I turned them on and nothing. I turned it to high and it worked fine. Put back to regular speed and it struggled to move but did move. Back to high and again it worked normal.

Maybe someone has a thought on this issue before i start to trouble shoot?

Thanks

Old 09-27-2009, 12:33 AM
ralphael101
Rookie

Question. Do you have delay wipers? If so, do they work? I think your problem is in the wiper motor/trans. Your switch seems to be working fine because you say it is trying...so its getting power. First check your connection under the hood. Its just above the main power steering line. It plugs in just below the windshield cowling. Next, do a visual test. Take the windshield cowling off and watch what the motor does when someone turns the switch on. Can you hear/see it move or try to move? If so, I believe all 93-97 take the same motor/trans if you opt for a junkyard. The U=pull it junkyards are the cheapest. You take the part off yourself. Most will mark it for you in case it doesn't work and you need to exchange it. Rarely happens with these. Hope this helps you out.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:52 AM
login1
Default Follow Up

Just a follow up. The issue was internal of the wiper motor assembly. Under the rubber boot section of the wiper motor there is a cover. Under the cover is the nylon gears and also three (maybe 4) electrical contact points / plate.

Well the grease used for the gears and sliding contacts had become dried out and was not allowing the needed contact on the rotating plate.

Cleaned and regreased and all is good.

Hope this helps

Old 10-03-2009, 03:43 AM
ralphael101
Rookie
Thumbs up

Glad to hear it. And I learned something! Oh my. I love this site.

Quick Reply: Wiper only works proper on high