1st Gen Intrepid 1993 through 1997 Intrepids

The rebbuild of a 1997 Dodge Intrepid

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 02:41 AM
jradams350
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The rebuild of a 1997 Dodge Intrepid

Not sure if anyone here is interested or not, but I have been trying to repair (Just a project and I am keeping the car) my car since I got it and just have to wait for the weather to co-operate and get a good place to work on it. I do have a garage I am trying to build, but that has come to a halt since I do not have the tin to complete it or the $$$ to currecntly buy the tin (Budget ran short)... This car is Bone stock with the exception of a radio that I installed into the car. I also have a good amount of spare parts to fix it with in case something breaks.

Just a little Info about this car...

I aquirred this car back in October 2007 with damage done to the front-end. It was in very bad shape and the engine was not running due to the wreck. The Airbags are good and not deployed, and it has a clean / clear Mississippi title. I was given this car since the previous owner and his wife was fixing to be fined for having it out in public (City they live in is **** about that).

It took some time to get it loaded onto my trailer, but once it was loaded onto my trailer it took a journey back here to my house (A little over 100 miles). After I got my truck and trailer into Position (Had a 1996 Ford F-250 Crewcab SRW Diesel at that time), the previous owners wife was telling me exactly what happened and why she had Power of Attorney on the car.

She stated that her husband is stationed in IRAQ, but the damage was done to the car because their son let his friend drive the car without their premission and slammed it into the tree. It ripped off the front bumper, nearly ripped off the entire right front fender (About an 1/8 remained on the car), and damaged the inner-structure. The engine was still in excelent condition. The fuel pump must of died in the collision and it also ripped the battery cables from the battery terminals. I haved not gotten tagged since it has not been on the road, but once I get the car finished and fixed, there is going to be a tag put on this car and bring it's inspection up to date.

I talked with local police and Sheriff's department and they stated that since it has a clear title to it, I do not have to take it to the DMV and have them inspect it for safety concerns. The Only time a vehicle has to go to the DMV to be inspected for Safety and operation is when the owner wants a clear title to it and has rebuilt it.

Back in January, I finally got this car fully up and running and moved it from where it was sitting (Up on the hill behind my house) and moved it to where it is currently sitting as shown in some photos (In front of the house). Then in Febuary the fuel pump that I bought died a day after the 90 day warranty expired.

I spent a total of $305 on this car so far and that is for all the parts shown above and a couple of parts not shown for this rebuild. Here is a break down so you would know:

$200 total to my local junk yard for the hood, inner structure (everything except the engine and engine cradle was there), fender, bumper, and the Alt.

$35 to a junkyard in Alabama for the fuel pump since my local yard does not have any.

$70 for the entire headlights from an 1996 Dodge Intreped.

There is still a minor parts that I got to buy like a replacement passenger side front door before I can go and get it repainted.

I did take and retime this car as a safety concern and was afraid it was out of time since it would not want to start up. That was while I was replacing the fuel pump since it was not working at all. The motor started right up after the timing and fuel pump and it did run great and quiet to. The only issue I had (Other than the fuel pump going out) is that there was a little smoke coming from the front of the engine, but that could of been from where it has sat for nearly 2 years before I finally got it working again.

While it still is damaged, and the pump was working, I took it for a test drive to see what all I would have to replace on the suspension / steering on the right side of the car, but it drove straight and true and all the inspections I have done shows no damage under there.

I do have photos of this rebuild here on my computer and one time had them up on Photobucket, but I have since then deleted the account by accident and all went away with it.

Last edited by jradams350; 09-26-2009 at 03:01 AM. Reason: Corrected the title.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:05 AM
jradams350
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Little bit of Specs on my car:

1997 model (Built in Febuary of 1997) (Base Model not ES)
3.5L engine
42LE Automatic Transaxle (Non-Autostick / Column Shift)
Cloth interior
Fog Light Standard on this car (maybe due to a customer package IDK)
No Sun / Moon Roof...

Quick Reply: The rebbuild of a 1997 Dodge Intrepid